“Positive Results” or Strike? Bus Operators Set Cabinet Deadline

A planned nationwide bus strike across Belize has been temporarily put on hold, but industrial action remains a very real possibility unless the government delivers tangible progress on a longstanding request for extended diesel subsidies, the leader of the Belize Bus Association (BBA) has confirmed.

BBA President Philip Jones revealed that association members only agreed to pause strike action set to launch this Monday following weeks of internal negotiations, after the government signaled it would officially address their subsidy proposal during an upcoming cabinet meeting this week. For more than a month, bus operators have sent multiple formal requests to the Department of Transport and the national transport minister to open discussions around extending the existing subsidy program, with none of those letters receiving a formal response until last week, Jones said.

“We sent our third formal letter around August 16 to request a sit-down meeting to talk about extending the subsidy, because the ongoing cost crisis that pushed us to ask for support the first time has not gone away — it has actually gotten worse, and it is now a critical challenge for every bus operator in the country,” Jones explained in a public statement Friday.

Last Thursday, the BBA finally received official correspondence confirming that Transport Minister would bring the subsidy extension request to a joint meeting with Prime Minister John Briceño and the full Cabinet this coming week. In response, association members voted to delay the strike until after the conclusion of that meeting, Jones confirmed. The terms of the pause are clear: if the meeting yields positive outcomes that meet operators’ needs, the strike will be called off entirely. If not, full strike action will begin the day after the cabinet meeting concludes.

Jones added that this hardline stance reflects the position of the clear majority of BBA members across the country. Responding to requests for comment on Friday, Prime Minister Briceño confirmed that the cabinet would discuss the BBA’s request during the scheduled meeting, and stressed that the government would evaluate the proposal on its merits.

“If we are able to approve the extension, we will do so. If we cannot, we will be clear that we are unable to move forward at this time, and the decision on next steps will be up to the bus operators,” Briceño told local outlet News 5. The prime minister noted that the right to strike is constitutionally protected for Belizean workers, but pushed back against the implicit threat of industrial action to push policy forward.

“The last time the association came to us with a request for a subsidy, they presented a strong, compelling case, and we approved it. But a country cannot be governed through intimidation,” Briceño said. “Any request must stand on its own merits, not on the threat of disrupting daily life for ordinary Belizeans.”