In a sudden development that has sent ripples through Belizean pageantry circles, former Miss Universe Belize leader Destiny Wagner has announced her immediate resignation from the post of national director, citing fundamental disagreements over organizational values and accountability frameworks. The unexpected departure was made public in a heartfelt statement shared via her official Facebook page on August 20, 2026.
Wagner opened her statement by emphasizing that she took on the national director role with sincere, forward-thinking goals for the Belizean pageant ecosystem. “When I agreed to take this position, I entered with clear, genuine intentions,” she wrote. “My core aim was to foster a deeper culture of sisterhood, collective support, and community connection within Belize’s pageantry community, and I leave proud that I was able to move that vision forward in tangible, meaningful ways.”
The breaking point for Wagner came after a recent public controversy surrounding the 2026 Miss Universe Belize pageant, which revealed a misalignment between her leadership philosophy and that of the broader Miss Universe Belize organization. While Wagner noted she had already addressed the on-stage issues that marred the event, the communication and blame-assignment that followed the controversy led her to conclude she could no longer continue in the role.
Wagner made a point to highlight the incredible effort put forward by her local team in the lead-up to the pageant, which was organized on an extremely tight timeline. “Even against enormous challenges and an unreasonably short preparation window, our team showed up every single day, worked tirelessly to resolve emerging issues, and crossed every finish line we needed to,” she said. “I cannot overstate how grateful I am for their dedication, hard work, and unwavering commitment to pulling off this event against the odds.”
At the heart of her resignation is a dispute over how accountability was handled after the pageant’s well-documented missteps. Earlier that same week, Miss Universe Belize leadership had publicly addressed the growing controversy, confirming after a full audit of judge scoring that winner Caleigh-Rose West’s victory was legitimate. However, organizers acknowledged multiple errors across score tabulation, production, and live broadcast—most notably the accidental use of stock footage of Tikal, a major archaeological site located in neighboring Guatemala, during the televised show. Organizers framed the mistake as a serious error by the local production team, which subsequently issued a public apology.
Wagner pushed back against this framing of responsibility in her resignation statement, arguing that collective leadership requires shared accountability when challenges arise. “For me, authentic leadership means standing together as a team when things go wrong, not shifting all blame to one group while ignoring the broader systemic and timeline challenges that contributed to the outcome,” she explained. “That is not a model of leadership I want to be associated with, and it does not align with my personal values.”
The former national director also alluded to unpublicized behind-the-scenes dynamics that contributed to her decision, noting that many details of the dispute have not been made public. “There are many circumstances and conversations happening out of the public eye that have led me to this choice,” she said. “For the moment, I will simply say I may share more details when the time is appropriate.”
Despite her departure from the organization, Wagner extended warm wishes to the newly crowned Caleigh-Rose West, urging the Belizean public to continue supporting the queen ahead of her international competition. “To Caleigh-Rose, I want nothing more than for you to have an incredible, successful reign,” she wrote. “You deserve to enjoy this moment, represent Belize with pride, and have the entire country standing behind you as you prepare for the Miss Universe competition in Puerto Rico. I encourage everyone to continue supporting our queen.”
Wagner clarified that her resignation applies only to her specific role with Miss Universe Belize, and does not mark the end of her involvement with pageantry as a whole. The Miss Universe Belize organization has not yet announced a timeline for naming a replacement national director to lead the program moving forward.
