A Trinidadian community has been shaken by the tragic death of 14-year-old Andrea Francis, a young teenager with dreams of becoming a hairdresser, whose death was initially ruled a suspected suicide before an autopsy uncovered she was killed via blunt force trauma and strangulation. The teen’s father, Andy Francis, has spoken out publicly to express his horror at the official findings and deny any involvement in his daughter’s death, while authorities confirm the homicide investigation remains ongoing with no suspects detained to date.
Andrea’s story unfolded against a backdrop of joyful excitement: the 14-year-old had recently sat her Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) exams in May 2026, and just two days before her body was discovered on July 4, she received results confirming she had earned a spot at her top-choice institution, Cunupia Secondary School. Described by her father as a friendly, jolly teen who loved singing and dancing, Andrea had been thrilled by her acceptance and was already looking forward to starting the new school term. She had also grieved deeply for her mother, who passed away from medical complications in Guyana just nine months earlier in October 2025.
On the night of July 3, Andrea went to bed around 9 p.m. in her family’s home at Phyllis Lane Extension, Enterprise, sharing a room with her older sister Arielle, who slept in a separate bed. The following morning at approximately 10:30 a.m., Arielle found Andrea unresponsive in her bed. Initial police assessments did not find visible marks of violence or any suspicious signs on the teen’s body or in her bedroom, leading to early assumptions that her death was a suicide. Andy Francis told local reporters in the days after her death that Andrea had been her usual happy, normal self in her final days, with no indication anything was wrong.
A formal autopsy was conducted by pathologist Dr. Hubert Daisley on the Friday following Andrea’s death. The examination revealed the true cause of death: a combination of manual strangulation, blunt force trauma to the skull and right eye, and aspiration pneumonitis, confirming Andrea was murdered. In a striking twist, Andy Francis told the *Sunday Express* he learned of the homicide finding not from police or medical officials, but from a random social media post he saw while scrolling at around 11:30 a.m. that same day.
Francis told reporters that authorities never officially shared the autopsy results or cause of death with him directly. He explained that he visited the San Fernando General Hospital, where the procedure was scheduled, three times that week—on the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday following his daughter’s death. On the day of the autopsy, he told reporters he waited at the hospital until after 3 p.m., when officials only told him the procedure was complete, no cause of death had been determined, and police would continue the investigation. He also pushed back hard against any insinuation of his involvement, saying, “To tell you the truth, I never beat my daughter or anything. The night before, no other time. Look my next daughter here. I have witness in the place here. Nobody never beat her Andrea Francis.”
To date, Francis says the only contact he has had from investigators is a single phone call from an officer who came to the neighborhood to collect security camera footage from nearby homes, with no formal discussion of the case or notification that he is considered a suspect. Still, Francis acknowledged that the lack of communication from authorities leads him to believe he is being treated as a person of interest: “Well, it looking so to me ’cause nobody ain’t really talking to me. They just doing their thing.”
Reached for comment by the *Express*, a senior homicide official confirmed that no arrests have been made in the case as of the latest updates. The official added that the investigation is active and that detectives are continuing to pursue all leads to identify and apprehend the person responsible for Andrea’s death.
