Nearly three weeks after Belize’s top diplomat underwent urgent major heart surgery, the country’s prime minister has shared an encouraging update on Foreign Affairs Minister Francis Fonseca’s ongoing recovery. On May 20, 2026, Prime Minister John Briceño confirmed that Fonseca is progressing smoothly following the triple bypass procedure he underwent earlier this month.
Briceño, who visited the recovering minister just days after the operation, said he was relieved to see Fonseca in good spirits. “I went to see him on a Friday after the surgery, and he looked quite, quite relaxed,” the prime minister shared in his remarks. A subsequent check-in via message confirmed that the minister’s condition continues to improve, he added.
As the foreign ministry remains without its permanent leader while Fonseca recovers, Briceño has emphasized that the minister’s full recovery takes priority over a quick return to official duties. “What I’m telling him is his health comes first. Once he feels that he is in a position to come back to work, he’s welcome back. We certainly need his help,” Briceño said. To date, no firm timeline has been established for Fonseca’s resumption of his ministerial responsibilities.
Since Fonseca entered medical leave to undergo the procedure, Briceño has stepped in to temporarily oversee the foreign affairs portfolio. Earlier this month, Economic Transformation Minister Dr. Osmond Martinez addressed growing speculation about a potential interim appointment, confirming that the prime minister was the appropriate official to hold the role during Fonseca’s absence, and dismissing questions about any other interim replacement.
