作者: admin

  • Who deserves your vote?

    Who deserves your vote?

    As St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) enters another election season, the familiar sights and sounds of campaigning are in full swing. Campaign vehicles traverse villages, loudspeakers echo across hillsides, and social media buzzes with partisan fervor. Yet, beneath this vibrant spectacle lies a critical question every voter must confront: who truly deserves their vote? This election is not merely a ritual of democracy but a pivotal moment that will shape the nation’s future.

  • Simons: Regering niet in gesprek met Chinalco

    Simons: Regering niet in gesprek met Chinalco

    Suriname’s President Jennifer Simons has firmly denied reports of government negotiations with Chinese multinational Chinalco regarding the mining and export of bauxite from West Suriname. Speaking at a press conference upon her return to the country, Simons emphasized that no agreements or discussions are underway, and Suriname will not export bauxite from the region under any circumstances. She acknowledged that Vice President Gregory Rusland had been approached by Chinalco and engaged in a single conversation but clarified that this did not represent official government negotiations. ‘The government consists of the president, vice president, and the Council of Ministers,’ Simons stated. ‘One member having a conversation does not equate to government negotiations.’

    Simons highlighted the need for Suriname to make deliberate choices in utilizing its natural resources to foster development. The country is rich in gold, bauxite, and other resources but is internationally committed to preserving at least 90% of its forest area. ‘If the world expects us to uphold this commitment, they must compensate us for forest conservation,’ she asserted. ‘Only then can we make a fair assessment.’

    The president noted that revenues from the oil sector could alleviate economic pressure on other resources. ‘Oil discoveries may slightly slow deforestation, as we anticipate income from this sector,’ she explained. However, Simons warned against overburdening the economy, stating, ‘A country with just 600,000 inhabitants cannot tackle everything simultaneously. Overextension risks economic overheating and new challenges.’

    Addressing the issue of Mennonite communities seeking agricultural land, Simons firmly opposed deforestation for large-scale farming. ‘Clearing tropical rainforest for agriculture is not my approach,’ she declared. She also reiterated that all land allocations over the past five years were unlawful. ‘They were issued illegally. I’ve said this for years, and now the Audit Office has confirmed it,’ she said. Simons emphasized that officials had failed to adhere to legal requirements, citing Article 13 of the Anti-Corruption Act, which nullifies unlawfully issued allocations. The government has temporarily halted land allocations pending a review of past transactions.

  • Amazon Bazaar arrives in the Dominican Republic: Everything you need to know about the app

    Amazon Bazaar arrives in the Dominican Republic: Everything you need to know about the app

    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – November 7, 2025. Amazon has unveiled its latest venture, the Amazon Bazaar app, in the Dominican Republic, marking a significant expansion of its global affordable shopping initiative. This new platform offers a diverse range of budget-friendly products across fashion, home, and lifestyle categories, with prices starting as low as 125 Dominican pesos. The launch follows the successful reception of Amazon Haul in the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, and Australia, as well as Amazon Bazaar in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE. Amazon Bazaar is now accessible in 15 regions, including Hong Kong, the Philippines, Taiwan, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Nigeria. The app integrates value-driven shopping with interactive features such as sweepstakes and promotions, enhancing the user experience. New customers are welcomed with a 50% discount on their first order, while all shoppers benefit from additional savings. Orders exceeding 1,500 Dominican pesos qualify for free shipping, with deliveries guaranteed within two weeks. A 24/7 multilingual customer service team ensures seamless support. Amazon Bazaar maintains the trusted standards of the Amazon ecosystem, offering product reviews, star ratings, and rigorous compliance checks. Returns are free within 15 days of receipt. The app supports six languages and local currency options, providing a convenient shopping experience for Dominican Republic residents. Payment methods include internationally accepted Visa, Mastercard, and American Express cards. The Amazon Bazaar app is now available for download on iOS and Android platforms in the Dominican Republic. Amazon continues to uphold its core principles of customer obsession, innovation, operational excellence, and long-term thinking, reinforcing its position as a global leader in e-commerce.

  • Cibao Airport is experiencing delays to and from the United States due to air traffic controllers

    Cibao Airport is experiencing delays to and from the United States due to air traffic controllers

    Cibao International Airport in Santiago, Dominican Republic, has been grappling with a wave of flight delays and cancellations since Friday, primarily affecting routes to and from the United States. This disruption is part of a broader aviation crisis in the U.S., triggered by a severe shortage of air traffic controllers. Over the past 24 hours, the Santiago terminal has joined numerous airports across the continent experiencing operational chaos, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded and creating scenes of frustration and uncertainty. According to a spokesperson from Cibao International Airport’s communications department, at least seven scheduled flights to or from major U.S. cities such as New York, Boston, and San Juan have been rescheduled. These flights, primarily operated by JetBlue Airways and United Airlines, include JetBlue 837 from New York, rescheduled from 8:34 p.m. to 11:20 p.m., and JetBlue 337, also from New York, moved from 11:12 p.m. to 11:39 p.m. Other affected flights include JetBlue 2137 from New York, delayed from 3:33 p.m. to 4:46 p.m., and United 1624 from Newark, postponed from 2:53 p.m. to 5:33 p.m. JetBlue 2723 from Boston was also delayed from 5:43 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Notably, JetBlue 1607 from San Juan maintained its scheduled departure at 4:15 p.m., standing out as one of the few unaffected flights. The root of this crisis lies in the partial shutdown of the U.S. federal government, which has left thousands of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) employees unable to work due to the lack of a budget extension. While international flights, including those connecting Santiago with U.S. cities, are not the most directly impacted, the uncertainty continues to unsettle travelers and airport operators. Cibao International Airport, a key hub for international connections in the Dominican Republic, remains on high alert as the situation unfolds.

  • Only legally registered NGOS can pick GYEITI’s civil society reps

    Only legally registered NGOS can pick GYEITI’s civil society reps

    The Ministry of Natural Resources in Guyana has announced that only legally registered civil society organizations (CSOs) and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) will be eligible to nominate representatives for the Guyana Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (GYEITI). This decision was communicated by Dr. Ivor English, the Civil Society Convenor, who emphasized the importance of adhering to legal frameworks in the selection process. A caucus is scheduled for November 20-21 at the Marriott Hotel to renew the representation on the Multistakeholder Group (MSG) of the GYEITI. Dr. English, a member of the Guyana Conference of Seventh-day Adventists (GCSDA), has been appointed to guide this process, ensuring it is open, independent, and participatory, in line with the EITI Standard. The GCSDA, one of Guyana’s largest civil society organizations, boasts over 68,000 members across 31 districts. The first day of the caucus will focus on developing rules for selecting representatives, while the second day will involve the actual election or selection of these representatives. This move comes after a previous fallout between the Guyana government and the Policy Forum Guyana, which had initially been responsible for convening civil society representatives. The government’s decision to involve only legally registered entities aims to enhance transparency and credibility in the GYEITI process, ensuring that civil society is fully, actively, and effectively engaged.

  • 2026 World Cup Qualifiers : List of senior Grenadiers convened for the last 2 matches

    2026 World Cup Qualifiers : List of senior Grenadiers convened for the last 2 matches

    The Haitian national football team, known as the Grenadiers, is set to face two decisive matches in the CONCACAF 2026 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Tournament. Under the guidance of French coach Sébastien Migné, the team has announced its roster of 23 players for the final two second-leg matches. These games, scheduled for November 13, 2025, against Costa Rica and November 18 against Nicaragua, will determine whether Haiti secures a spot in the 2026 World Cup. The Grenadiers have shown a mixed performance in the tournament so far, with one win, two draws, and one loss in their first four matches. The team’s current standing in Group C places them third, behind Honduras and Costa Rica. The upcoming matches are critical for Haiti’s hopes of advancing to the World Cup, and the nation eagerly anticipates the outcome.

  • Home cooks shine at Food and Rum Festival’s Community Cook-Off

    Home cooks shine at Food and Rum Festival’s Community Cook-Off

    The vibrant spirit of Barbados came alive at Queen’s Park in The City on Friday evening as the inaugural Barbados Food and Rum Simplex Trading Community Cook-Off Finals showcased the island’s rich culinary traditions. Six talented home cooks from across the parishes of Barbados competed fiercely for the coveted title of top community chef, with Heather Aimes of St Joseph emerging victorious. Her winning dish—cornmeal cou-cou paired with steamed fish, pickled cucumber, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes—captured the essence of authentic Bajan cuisine and earned her the $7,500 grand prize. The competition, a highlight of the 2025 Barbados Food and Rum Festival, celebrated the creativity and skill of everyday cooks, bringing communities together through food. Second place went to Sarah Hoppie of St Andrew, who took home $5,000, while Chade Marshall of St George secured third place with a $2,500 prize. Executive Chef Henderson Butcher, the festival’s culinary director, praised the event for fostering unity and showcasing the depth of Barbadian food culture. He emphasized the importance of such initiatives in strengthening community bonds and preserving culinary heritage. For Heather Aimes, the win was a proud moment, as her traditional cou-cou dish resonated deeply with the judges and audience alike. The event not only highlighted the island’s gastronomic excellence but also underscored the power of food as a unifying force in Barbados.

  • Emergency simulation exercise at Vigie Airport on Tuesday

    Emergency simulation exercise at Vigie Airport on Tuesday

    The Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) has announced a comprehensive emergency simulation exercise scheduled for November 11, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, at the George F L Charles Airport in Vigie. This initiative is a critical component of SLASPA’s commitment to maintaining safety standards as mandated by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). During the exercise, flight operations will be temporarily suspended to ensure the simulation’s effectiveness. Residents and travelers may observe heightened activity around the airport, which is directly related to the drill and should not raise alarm. Additionally, traffic flow along Nelson Mandela Drive, the primary access route to the airport, will experience temporary restrictions. Motorists are advised to adhere to instructions from the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force Traffic Department to facilitate orderly movement during this period.

  • Regering bespreekt nieuw onderwijssysteem met donoren en investeerders

    Regering bespreekt nieuw onderwijssysteem met donoren en investeerders

    The Surinamese government is spearheading a groundbreaking initiative to overhaul its education system, aiming to bolster economic diversification. President Jennifer Simons recently engaged in high-level discussions with representatives from Scandinavian nations—Norway, Sweden, and Finland—and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) during her visits to New York and Brazil. These talks focused on the development of a new educational curriculum and investments in training programs for production-oriented sectors, particularly agro-industry.

  • Digital-age snipers are firing at the Dominican Republic as if it were their favorite target.

    Digital-age snipers are firing at the Dominican Republic as if it were their favorite target.

    While Artificial Intelligence (AI) continues to be celebrated for its transformative potential, the Dominican Republic is grappling with an alarming surge in cyber threats. The National Cybersecurity Center, headquartered in Santo Domingo, recently disclosed that a staggering 233 million attempted cyberattacks were recorded in the first half of this year. This unprecedented wave of digital assaults has prompted urgent calls for bolstering digital resilience across both public and private sectors. Among the most insidious threats are sophisticated scams involving manipulated digital texts and images, designed to deceive even the most cautious individuals. These deceptions have led to significant financial losses, particularly in the regulated financial sector, where modern digital tools are exploited to perpetrate massive frauds. Notably, hundreds of elderly Americans have fallen victim to scams orchestrated by cybercriminals operating from the Dominican Republic, losing substantial assets through deceptive communication channels. The situation worsened during Hurricane Melissa, when 67% of the information circulating on social media was found to be false, according to INDOTEL Director Guido Gómez Mazara. He accused opposition parties of fueling a wave of disinformation, exacerbating the crisis. Meanwhile, Banco Popular has issued a red alert, warning customers about the dual-edged nature of AI. While it offers immense benefits, it also introduces risks such as deepfakes—highly convincing audiovisual content that can lead to reputational damage, financial loss, and data breaches. UNESCO has also raised concerns, highlighting how digital technologies, while enhancing education, can also perpetuate gender stereotypes and expose young users to harmful content. Audrey Azoulay, UNESCO’s Director-General, emphasized the dangers of algorithm-controlled content on social media, which often glorifies unhealthy behaviors and unrealistic body standards. As the Dominican Republic navigates this digital minefield, the need for informed vigilance and robust cybersecurity measures has never been more critical.