Man confesses to thefts two years after denying charges

After two years of maintaining his innocence in a string of commercial retail thefts, 53-year-old Fredrick Alfred Haynes has publicly owned up to his crimes in a Barbados courtroom, marking a turning point in both his legal case and his personal battle with drug addiction.

Residing at Drayton Close in the Christ Church community of Enterprise, Haynes entered guilty pleas to three separate grand larceny charges when his case was called before Acting Chief Magistrate Douglas Frederick at the No. 1 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court this Friday. In exchange for his honesty and documented efforts to rebuild his life, the magistrate granted Haynes a nine-month peace bond, a lenient sentence that allows him to avoid immediate jail time so long as he abides by the court’s terms. A breach of the bond will trigger an automatic three-month custodial sentence.

The details of the thefts, laid out in court, date back to April 2024. On April 9, Haynes stole assorted goods including cooking spray, luncheon meat, chicken wings, chicken nuggets and hamburgers with a total value of $110.25 from ANSR Investments Limited, which operates the Esso Worthing service station. Court records show that just nine days later, on April 18, Haynes committed two additional thefts: he took $19.50 worth of corned beef and sausages from Lewis Drug Mart, then walked out of Massy Stores with $105.62 worth of chicken sticks, chicken nuggets, wieners and deodorant.

The case had been scheduled to go to trial on Friday, and prosecutor Sergeant Victoria Leacock informed the court that proceedings could not proceed as planned because key witness testimony was unavailable. She requested an adjournment to reschedule the trial, but Haynes surprised the court by announcing he wished to end the procedural delay and plead guilty immediately.

Court investigators outlined how the crimes were uncovered: after ANSR Investments’ managing director received an alert about missing inventory on April 9, the company reviewed on-site security footage, identified Haynes as the perpetrator, and filed an official police report. Haynes was later taken into police custody in connection with the two other retail thefts, and while detained, he voluntarily confessed to the Esso service station theft as well—though he would later reverse that admission before Friday’s hearing.

Haynes, who has 32 prior criminal convictions on his record, offered the court a raw, honest account of his circumstances when given the chance to speak. “At that time of my life, I was addicted to crack cocaine,” he told the court. “I am very remorseful. I am working now and looking after my son. I made the choice to get clean because I did not want him to see me prickle.”

Responding to Haynes’ candor and commitment to recovery, Acting Chief Magistrate Frederick noted that the defendant had chosen to unburden his conscience by taking responsibility for his actions. “You are in a different place than you were,” the magistrate said. “I will give you a chance to stay on the straight and narrow.”

The outcome of the case highlights the criminal justice system’s willingness to offer second chances to offenders who have taken tangible steps to overcome addiction and reintegrate into the community, balancing accountability for past crimes with support for sustained recovery.