As search operations enter their second week for missing Eleuthera resident Katrina Kelly, her family has issued a urgent public plea demanding an end to the spread of baseless, harmful false rumors circulating across social media platforms, while reaffirming their persistent hope that Kelly will be found alive.
Keith Kelly, the missing woman’s uncle, spoke publicly to dismantle a string of unsubstantiated claims that have gone viral in local communities. Among the most damaging false reports were assertions that Kelly’s bullet-ridden, badly burned body had been recovered, and that her remains had been located at Preachers Cave. Kelly confirmed that law enforcement officials have explicitly refuted all of these claims, telling reporters that lead investigators confirmed no evidence has been found to back up any of the viral rumors.
“When the first rumor broke yesterday, our whole family was gathered at my sister’s home waiting for updates,” Keith Kelly recalled in an interview. “Out of nowhere, someone got a text message claiming they’d found a body shot in the head and burned. It was all a complete lie. Later that same day, another fake story popped up saying she’d been found at Preachers Cave — that was another lie, too.”
The family says the steady stream of misinformation has added unnecessary emotional strain at a time when they are already grappling with fear and uncertainty over Kelly’s disappearance. “If any credible discovery had been made, we would be the first to know — most of our family was on site with search teams yesterday,” Kelly said. “We can’t understand why anyone would choose to spread these cruel lies when we’re just trying to find our loved one. Whoever is behind these rumors needs to stop, immediately.”
Kelly, a 34-year-old assistant manager at the popular Pink Sands Hotel who also runs a local car rental small business, vanished from her Bluff home on the night of last Tuesday. Her 11-year-old daughter, who was with her before she left, has told investigators that Kelly stepped out between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. to drop off friends and pick up takeout food. The child told police she witnessed three unknown men dressed in dark clothing exit a vehicle, speak with Kelly, and that she left with the group. No contact from Kelly has been reported since that night.
Family members previously told reporters that they did not immediately raise a full alarm, noting that Kelly often steps away from home around the anniversary and birthday of her late brother, Ashantio Clevorn Johnson, a 23-year-old trainee correctional officer who was fatally stabbed at a local restaurant and bar last year. Johnson’s birthday would have fallen on the Wednesday immediately after Kelly’s disappearance. What made family members grow deeply concerned, however, is that Kelly never reached out to confirm her safety — a routine she always follows when she steps away. Alarms were raised after she failed to pick her mother up from the airport following her mother’s return from a trip to the United States, and stopped responding to all text and call attempts.
To incentivize public tips that could help locate Kelly, a combined reward of $52,500 is currently on offer, with $50,000 of that total contributed by the Fox Foundation. Search operations continued on yesterday, focused heavily on the Current Island region, with dive teams scheduled to survey the waters surrounding the search zone for any clues. Loretta Cash-Pierre, Kelly’s cousin, best friend and godsister, said she has turned over all of Kelly’s electronic devices to investigators, as well as information on renters of a white Nissan Cube linked to her car rental business.
Authorities issued an official missing person bulletin for Kelly on Friday, and community members have been sharing missing person appeals across local networks. While relatives have previously acknowledged they fear Kelly may have been the victim of foul play or is being held against her will, they have not given up hope that she will be brought home safely.
“If you’re seeing this, Kat, we’re out here looking for you,” Keith Kelly said. “We want you home, we want to see you alive, we just need to know you’re safe. Her mother is already grieving the loss of my nephew, and this is almost more than she can bear — but even she says ‘I know she’s alive.’”
As search teams continue their work, the family is renewing two requests: anyone with any information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact the Royal Bahamas Police Force immediately, and anyone sharing or considering sharing unconfirmed reports about the case is asked to stop to avoid inflicting further harm on the already strained family.
