Haitian national remanded over thefts

A 35-year-old Haitian national with no fixed address in Barbados has been ordered held in police custody until mid-September after confessing to two counts of burglary targeting two of his fellow Haitian residents on the island. Juninho Fils Bien-Aimé, who has resided in Barbados for eight years, appeared before acting Chief Magistrate Douglas Frederick of the No. 1 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court, where he entered a guilty plea on all charges laid against him.

Court documents outline that the two burglary offenses took place on August 12, at the shared home of roommates Oger Clerger and Alain Prevelus, both Haitian citizens living and working in Barbados. On the day of the break-ins, the pair locked their separate bedrooms and left the residence for their regular work shifts, leaving no one inside the home.

When Clerger returned to the property that evening, he immediately noticed his door lock had been tampered with and damaged. Upon inspection, he found his personal belongings scattered across the room and confirmed that $1,000 in cash was missing from his possessions. Less than 60 minutes later, Prevelus arrived back at the home. As his mobile phone connected to the property’s home Wi-Fi network, it automatically synced with the residence’s internal security cameras, pulling up timestamped images that clearly showed an unknown man inside the home shortly after noon that same day. Neither Clerger nor Prevelus had granted Bien-Aimé or any other individual permission to enter their home or bedrooms, confirming the break-in was unauthorized.

A full inventory of the stolen items revealed that in addition to the $1,000 taken from Clerger, Bien-Aimé stole $2,000 in cash from Prevelus, along with two professional barbering machines valued at a combined $200, two shirts worth $200 total, and two pairs of pants valued at $140. The combined total value of stolen cash and goods exceeds $3,640.

During the court hearing, Bien-Aimé told the magistrate he had become homeless after a recent dispute with his girlfriend, leaving him with no permanent place to reside. He explained he originally traveled to Barbados for a visit but chose to remain to find work to send financial support to his family back in Haiti, a common path for Haitian migrants seeking more stable economic opportunity in the Caribbean. He told the court he had already spent all of the stolen cash on food and social outings with friends, and requested release so he could secure employment to repay the two victims for their losses.

Magistrate Frederick pushed back on the request, questioning why Bien-Aimé would target fellow Haitian migrants, who often rely on community solidarity to build new lives in host countries. Citing Bien-Aimé’s lack of fixed address and the outstanding need for Barbados’ Immigration Department to confirm his legal residency status in the country, the magistrate formally remanded him into custody, with the next court hearing scheduled for September 14.