LONDON, UK – In a series of shock selections that have sent ripples through English football, head coach Thomas Tuchel unveiled his England squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup co-hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada on Friday, leaving multiple high-profile stars out of his roster for the global tournament.
Among the most eye-catching exclusions are Chelsea creative midfielder Cole Palmer and Manchester City’s Phil Foden, both of whom were pivotal to England’s deep run to the Euro 2024 final this past summer. The pair have been dropped after underwhelming club campaigns this season, a call that has already sparked fierce debate among fans and pundits alike. Also missing from the squad is Real Madrid’s Trent Alexander-Arnold, Nottingham Forest attacking midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, Leeds United striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin – who sit among the highest-scoring English players in this season’s Premier League – Manchester United duo Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw, and Crystal Palace rising star Adam Wharton. Maguire, 33, spoke out publicly after the announcement, saying he was stunned by his omission after a strong domestic season with United, adding he had been confident he would play a key role for the Three Lions at the tournament.
The most unexpected inclusion comes in the form of Al-Ahli striker Ivan Toney, who now plies his trade in Saudi Arabia after moving there in 2024. Toney made a positive impression as a substitute at Euro 2024, but has featured for just two minutes of senior international football since his transfer to the Middle East. Another notable selection sees veteran midfielder and former Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, now of Brentford, earn his spot ahead of the young Wharton. Tuchel also took a calculated gamble on Manchester City centre-back John Stones, who has barely featured for his club this season after being sidelined by repeated injury issues.
Tasked with ending England’s 58-year drought since their last major international trophy back in 1966, the German manager – who lifted the UEFA Champions League during his tenure at Chelsea, and has previously managed Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich – has openly embraced the high-stakes nature of his controversial selection calls. He admitted that delivering the news to cut players from the squad was an emotionally draining process.
“It was difficult, sometimes painfully difficult. Even through the phone calls, I could feel the raw emotion,” Tuchel told reporters. “I called every player who has been part of our camp at least once. I wanted to show them the appreciation and respect they deserve for everything they’ve given to this team.”
Tuchel explained that his selection process was built on observations from international training camps held across September, October and November, with the final squad balancing promising young talent and battle-hardened veteran experience. For the head coach, tough selection calls are not a weakness, but a necessary step to building a side capable of going all the way to the World Cup title.
“I love the tough decisions because in the end they bring clarity, they bring a certain edge, and that’s exactly what you need to go all the way,” he said. “In the end it all comes down to this: who do we really trust? Who delivered for us? Who helped build our culture, especially from September onwards? Who set the standards, who were the drivers, who made up the leadership group? We relied heavily on that framework, because connection within the squad has to be there.”
England captain Harry Kane, who earned his place in the squad, expressed his excitement ahead of what will be another World Cup campaign for the veteran striker. “I’m extremely proud to be going to another World Cup,” Kane wrote in a social media post. “You never take these moments for granted. This is what you dream of as a kid. Can’t wait to get out there!!”
The Three Lions will kick off their 2026 World Cup Group stage campaign against Croatia in Dallas on June 17, before facing Ghana on June 23 and closing out group play against Panama four days later on June 27.
