标签: Jamaica

牙买加

  • #EyeOnMelissa: No fatalities reported as yet — McKenzie

    #EyeOnMelissa: No fatalities reported as yet — McKenzie

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — Desmond McKenzie, Jamaica’s Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, has confirmed that no fatalities have been reported in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa, a Category 5 storm that struck the island’s southwest coast on Tuesday. Speaking at a media briefing on Wednesday, McKenzie emphasized that authorities have not received any reports of deaths linked to the hurricane. ‘We are not in a position to speak about any deaths because we have not had any reports of any deaths so far, so we cannot presume that there are deaths,’ he stated. McKenzie expressed hope that the situation remains unchanged, adding, ‘I am hoping there are no deaths to report on.’ The hurricane, one of the most powerful to hit Jamaica in recent years, caused significant damage to infrastructure and property, but the absence of reported fatalities has been a rare positive note in the wake of the disaster. Authorities continue to assess the full extent of the damage and provide relief to affected communities.

  • King Charles says Hurricane Melissa damage ‘heartbreaking’

    King Charles says Hurricane Melissa damage ‘heartbreaking’

    In a heartfelt social media statement on Wednesday, Britain’s King Charles III expressed deep sorrow over the catastrophic impact of Hurricane Melissa on the Caribbean, describing the destruction as a “heartbreaking” reminder of the urgent need to restore nature’s balance. The monarch, alongside Queen Camilla, conveyed their profound sadness at witnessing the devastation caused by the record-breaking storm in Jamaica and across the region.

    Earlier in the day, the UK government pledged £2.5 million (US$3.3 million) in emergency funding to support relief efforts in the affected areas, which include Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer labeled the storm’s aftermath as “truly shocking,” emphasizing the scale of the disaster.

    The emergency funds will be allocated for essential supplies such as shelter kits, water filters, and blankets, as well as initiatives to prevent injuries and disease outbreaks. Additionally, the UK Foreign Office has established a crisis center to offer consular assistance to British nationals in the region, while a Royal Navy ship stands ready to deliver humanitarian aid.

    Hurricane Melissa struck Jamaica as a Category 5 storm on Tuesday, unleashing winds of nearly 185 miles (300 kilometers) per hour, causing widespread devastation. The storm subsequently hit Cuba and Haiti, where it left 30 people dead or missing. King Charles III’s message underscored the growing imperative to address environmental imbalances to safeguard lives and livelihoods in the face of such disasters.

  • UN General Assembly urges end to US embargo on Cuba

    UN General Assembly urges end to US embargo on Cuba

    The United Nations General Assembly has once again passed a resolution urging the United States to lift its long-standing economic embargo on Cuba, marking the 30th consecutive year such a measure has been adopted. The non-binding resolution, which garnered 165 votes in favor, seven against, and 12 abstentions, calls for the cessation of the economic, commercial, and financial blockade imposed by the US on the Communist-led island nation since 1962. The resolution highlights the detrimental impact of the embargo on the Cuban population, emphasizing its adverse effects on their livelihoods and economic stability. Despite the overwhelming support, the US, along with Israel and Ukraine, voted against the resolution, with Washington’s UN envoy, Mike Walz, dismissing it as propaganda that excuses the Cuban government’s failures. Cuba’s Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez countered Walz’s remarks, describing them as threatening and deceitful, while urging the US to suspend the embargo or at least implement humanitarian exceptions in light of the devastation caused by Hurricane Melissa. Notably, several Eastern European nations abstained from the vote, citing Cuba’s support for Russia in its ongoing conflict with Ukraine. The US embargo remains one of the world’s longest-standing unilateral sanctions, further straining relations between the two nations. In July, the US escalated its pressure on Cuba by imposing unprecedented sanctions on President Miguel Diaz-Canel, accusing him of complicity in the regime’s alleged brutality toward its citizens.

  • OUR grants US$5 million from Electricity Disaster Fund to JPS

    OUR grants US$5 million from Electricity Disaster Fund to JPS

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — In response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Melissa, the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) has authorized an immediate allocation of US$5 million from the Electricity Disaster Fund (EDF) to the Jamaica Public Service Company Limited (JPS). This funding aims to accelerate the mobilization of critical resources necessary for power restoration across the island. JPS has already initiated extensive measures, including the deployment of over 60 linemen from the eastern Caribbean and North America, alongside the strategic positioning of personnel, equipment, and inventory in key locations to ensure swift restoration efforts. The electricity provider is mandated to submit a comprehensive report detailing the expenditure of the allocated funds. Additionally, JPS has pledged to engage independent assessors to expedite damage evaluations and streamline the claims process, ensuring transparency and efficiency in the recovery operations.

  • Roads blocked, some roof damage reported, but Portland ‘spared the worst of the storm’

    Roads blocked, some roof damage reported, but Portland ‘spared the worst of the storm’

    PORTLAND, Jamaica — While Hurricane Melissa caused considerable disruption in sections of Portland, including blocked roads and extensive roof damage to homes, local officials believe the parish was largely spared the storm’s most devastating impacts. Colin Bell, the People’s National Party (PNP) Councillor Caretaker for the Fellowship Division, provided a firsthand assessment of the aftermath on Wednesday.

  • ‘Most terrible thing we ever see’

    ‘Most terrible thing we ever see’

    The rural community of Grierfield in Moneague, St Ann, is grappling with the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa, which struck on Tuesday, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. Among the affected residents is Garry Dawson, who, along with his neighbors, is racing against time to repair his roof before nightfall. The powerful winds not only tore off roofs but also destroyed furniture and other household essentials, leaving many counting the staggering costs of the disaster.

  • UK deploys J$510m in hurricane relief to the Caribbean

    UK deploys J$510m in hurricane relief to the Caribbean

    The United Kingdom has announced a £2.5 million emergency humanitarian fund to aid the Caribbean region in recovering from the catastrophic effects of Hurricane Melissa. This substantial financial support is aimed at facilitating a swift humanitarian response, including the distribution of essential emergency supplies such as shelter kits, water filters, and blankets to mitigate the risks of injuries and disease outbreaks. These supplies have been strategically pre-positioned in Antigua for rapid deployment to the most affected areas. Additionally, UK humanitarian and technical experts are being dispatched to the region to assist in the coordination and efficient delivery of aid. UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper emphasized the UK’s commitment to supporting Jamaican authorities in disaster relief efforts, highlighting the deployment of specialist teams to provide consular assistance to British nationals affected by the hurricane. British High Commissioner to Jamaica, Alicia Herbert OBE, expressed deep sorrow over the devastation caused by Hurricane Melissa and reaffirmed the UK’s solidarity with Jamaica, pledging continued support for relief and rebuilding efforts. The Royal Navy ship HMS Trent is also stationed in the region to offer disaster response support if needed, while a pre-deployed team from the UK Ministry of Defence is assisting in disaster management preparations in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Furthermore, a specialist Rapid Deployment Team from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has been sent to Miami to provide consular assistance to affected British nationals. The UK is collaborating with tour operators, Jamaican authorities, and international partners, including the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), and UN agencies, to ensure that humanitarian assistance reaches the most vulnerable populations in the affected areas.

  • US says emergency teams ready for Hurricane Melissa

    US says emergency teams ready for Hurricane Melissa

    The United States has swiftly mobilized disaster relief teams to assist Caribbean nations grappling with the catastrophic aftermath of Hurricane Melissa. Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on Wednesday that rescue and response teams, along with essential lifesaving supplies, are en route to affected areas. The US is coordinating closely with the governments of Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and The Bahamas to address the widespread devastation caused by the hurricane. Notably, Rubio, a vocal critic of Cuba’s communist regime, did not mention any engagement with Havana. A State Department official revealed that dozens of US personnel, including teams from Los Angeles, Fairfax, Virginia, and a regional hub in Costa Rica, will be deployed to assist in rescue operations and damage assessment. This move follows the Trump administration’s earlier decision to significantly reduce US international aid by dismantling the US Agency for International Development. Despite skepticism about long-term assistance, both Rubio and former President Trump have emphasized the importance of targeted and immediate aid during crises. However, the ongoing US government shutdown has reportedly complicated relief efforts, though emergency workers have been granted expedited authorization to proceed.

  • WATCH: Manchester, St Elizabeth residents picking up the pieces

    WATCH: Manchester, St Elizabeth residents picking up the pieces

    Residents of Manchester and St Elizabeth awoke early Wednesday to assess the widespread devastation caused by Hurricane Melissa. The storm left a chaotic scene of debris, uprooted trees, and downed powerlines strewn across roadways. Despite the destruction, locals were already mobilizing to clear paths for vehicles. Significant flooding was evident, with some roads still submerged, leaving certain areas in St Elizabeth completely cut off. In the Wilton community near Santa Cruz, one resident recounted having to swim to reach the main road. Cornell Williams, another local, described the hurricane as ‘the worst storm I’ve ever seen, worse than Gilbert,’ after losing his roof and seeing his belongings submerged. The aftermath of Hurricane Melissa has left communities grappling with the extensive damage and the daunting task of recovery.

  • Venezuela says destroyed two Colombian narco camps on its territory

    Venezuela says destroyed two Colombian narco camps on its territory

    In a significant military operation, Venezuela’s armed forces announced on Wednesday the destruction of two Colombian narcotrafficking camps located within its borders. The operation, led by General Domingo Hernandez Larez, head of the armed forces’ strategic command, targeted logistical bases used by groups referred to as ‘Tancol’—a term coined by Caracas to describe ‘armed narcotrafficking terrorists of Colombia.’ The raids uncovered pamphlets linked to the Colombian ELN guerrilla group, alongside seized ammunition, all-terrain vehicles, tactical vests, and fuel. The ELN, a prominent insurgency group, controls territories near the Venezuelan border, which are critical hubs for coca production and trafficking routes to the Caribbean coast, where Colombian cocaine is transported globally. This operation coincides with a substantial US military deployment in the Caribbean, ostensibly aimed at combating drug trafficking. However, Venezuelan authorities suspect the US move is a pretext for potential military action against President Nicolas Maduro, whom the Trump administration has accused of being a drug lord, offering a $50 million reward for his capture. Maduro has consistently denied these allegations, asserting that Venezuela is merely a transit route for Colombian cocaine, with no local drug cultivation. Earlier this month, Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino also reported the dismantling of ELN and former FARC guerrilla camps, underscoring Caracas’ efforts to demonstrate its commitment to combating narcoterrorism.