标签: Jamaica

牙买加

  • Red Cross hopes Jamaica hurricane toll stays ‘low’, says disaster planning saved lives

    Red Cross hopes Jamaica hurricane toll stays ‘low’, says disaster planning saved lives

    GENEVA, Switzerland — The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has attributed the relatively low death toll from Hurricane Melissa to comprehensive disaster preparedness measures implemented by Jamaica. Despite being one of the most powerful hurricanes ever recorded, the storm resulted in 32 fatalities on the island, with a total of 76 deaths across the Caribbean.

  • Caribbean transitions into the dry and cool seasons in December

    Caribbean transitions into the dry and cool seasons in December

    The Caribbean Climate Outlook Forum (CariCOF), headquartered in Barbados, has released its latest seasonal forecast, predicting a decline in tropical cyclone activity and excessively hot, humid days as the region transitions into the cooler, drier months of December. The report, covering the period from November 2023 to January 2024, highlights the influence of La Niña conditions, marked by cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean, driven by stronger trade winds. This, combined with unusual warmth in the Subtropical North Atlantic, has introduced significant uncertainty into the seasonal climate predictions. Despite this, CariCOF anticipates a steady reduction in tropical cyclone activity and extreme heat in November. However, the ABC Islands, Belize, and the Lesser Antilles are expected to experience high rainfall intensity and frequent showers, raising the risk of flooding, flash floods, and related hazards. The forecast also warns of increasing dry spells in The Bahamas and the Greater Antilles, with drought conditions likely to emerge by late January in areas already experiencing water shortages. As of late October, severe short-term drought has been reported across the Windward Islands, Aruba, parts of the Dominican Republic, and Guadeloupe, while long-term drought is expected in southwest Dominica, northern Jamaica, northern Guyana, St. Croix, and St. Vincent.

  • Gov’t to investigate reports of price gouging in Westmoreland

    Gov’t to investigate reports of price gouging in Westmoreland

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Jamaican government has pledged to investigate allegations of price gouging in western Jamaica in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa. Prime Minister Dr. Andrew Holness made the announcement during a session of the House of Representatives on Tuesday. The hurricane, which struck on October 28, caused significant damage in southwestern parishes, leading to reports of inflated prices for essential goods and services, including food, gasoline, building materials, and transportation fares. Member of Parliament for Westmoreland Western, Ian Hayles, highlighted the severity of the issue, noting that prices in his constituency had doubled. He urged the government to take immediate action to protect citizens from exploitation. In response, Holness acknowledged the gravity of the situation and revealed that he had already instructed the Minister of Industry, Investment, and Commerce, Senator Aubyn Hill, to launch an investigation. The Prime Minister emphasized that while existing price control measures are limited to specific items such as food and essentials, the government is committed to enforcing regulations to ensure fairness during the recovery period. ‘In times of disaster, everyone is expected to act responsibly to support national recovery,’ Holness stated.

  • Football star David Beckham hails knighthood as ‘proudest moment’

    Football star David Beckham hails knighthood as ‘proudest moment’

    LONDON, United Kingdom — In a momentous ceremony at Windsor Castle, former England football captain David Beckham was knighted by King Charles III on Tuesday, marking what he described as his “proudest moment.” The 50-year-old football legend, who earned 115 caps for England and played for iconic clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid, was honored for his exceptional contributions to sport and charity. Beckham, visibly moved, reflected on the significance of the occasion, stating, “It’s quite a moment for a boy from the east end of London to be here at Windsor Castle, being honored by His Majesty the King – the most important and respected institution in the world.” Accompanied by his wife Victoria, a former Spice Girls member turned fashion designer, and his parents Ted and Sandra, Beckham donned a bespoke grey suit crafted by Victoria. During the ceremony, Beckham shared that King Charles had complimented his attire, noting, “He’s kind of the most elegantly dressed man that I know, so he inspired quite a few of my looks over the years.” Beckham’s knighthood is the culmination of a career that transcended football, transforming him into a global icon at the intersection of sport, fashion, and business. While he was previously considered for the honor after aiding London’s successful bid for the 2012 Olympics, his nomination faced delays due to allegations of tax avoidance, which were later cleared. Beckham expressed his deep admiration for the monarchy, stating, “To receive an honor like this, of a knight, is beyond anything I ever thought I would receive.”

  • Associated Brands pledges US$500,000 in Hurricane Melissa relief support to Jamaica

    Associated Brands pledges US$500,000 in Hurricane Melissa relief support to Jamaica

    Nicholas Lok Jack, Executive Chairman of Associated Brands Industries Limited (ABIL), has announced a significant humanitarian aid package of US$500,000 to support Jamaica in the wake of Hurricane Melissa. ABIL, the parent company of renowned brands such as Sunshine Snacks, Charles Chocolates, Devon Biscuits, and Sunshine Cereals, has committed to providing both financial and material assistance to the affected regions. The aid includes a US$250,000 cash donation to the Sandals Foundation and an additional US$250,000 worth of food and snack products, which will be distributed through various agencies to the hardest-hit communities. Lok Jack emphasized the deep connection ABIL has with Jamaica, home to over 500 employees through its subsidiary, Confectionery and Snacks (Jamaica) Limited. He praised the resilience and spirit of the Jamaican people, stating, ‘We stand with you, shoulder to shoulder, as you rebuild stronger than ever.’ The partnership with the Sandals Foundation was chosen due to its established credibility and effectiveness in delivering aid across the Caribbean. Adam Stewart, Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International, expressed gratitude for ABIL’s swift and generous response, highlighting the importance of regional unity in times of crisis. Heidi Clarke, Executive Director of the Sandals Foundation, underscored the immediate impact of the partnership, noting that it will bring essential supplies and hope to those most affected. ABIL’s pledge reaffirms its enduring commitment to the Caribbean and its people, embodying the values of compassion and community support.

  • Over 116,000 buildings severely damaged by Hurricane Melissa — Holness

    Over 116,000 buildings severely damaged by Hurricane Melissa — Holness

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — Hurricane Melissa has inflicted severe damage on more than 116,000 buildings out of the 428,000 structures recorded in the National Spatial Data Management Branch’s database. The devastation is particularly concentrated in the parishes of Westmoreland, St Elizabeth, and Manchester, as confirmed by satellite imagery and drone assessments. Prime Minister Andrew Holness addressed the crisis during a ministerial statement in the House of Representatives on Tuesday. He emphasized the unprecedented use of geospatial intelligence to conduct a rapid, high-resolution national housing damage assessment, marking a historic milestone for Jamaica. ‘Melissa has caused extensive damage to the nation’s housing stock, especially in the western parishes,’ Holness stated. ‘These findings are now guiding targeted relief and reconstruction efforts across affected communities.’ The government is transitioning from emergency sheltering to stabilization and repair, with field verification underway in priority areas. Housing support teams are collaborating with the Jamaica Defence Force, the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, and local authorities to expedite aid. Holness added that as access to western communities is restored, beneficiary verification will be completed, and roofing support, building materials, tarpaulins, and rapid-repair crews will be deployed to ensure safety and habitability. The data is being integrated into the post-disaster needs assessment to shape a resilient housing and building recovery program, led by Minister Robert Montague, who oversees Titling and Settlements.

  • Victor Conte, mastermind of BALCO doping scandal, dead at 75

    Victor Conte, mastermind of BALCO doping scandal, dead at 75

    Victor Conte, the central figure behind the infamous BALCO doping scandal that sent shockwaves through the worlds of athletics and baseball in the early 2000s, passed away on Monday at the age of 75. His death was confirmed by a statement from his sports nutrition company, SNAC, which described him as a ‘fearless leader’ whose memory would ‘forever live in our hearts.’

    Conte’s Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO), founded in 1984, became a notorious hub for the development and distribution of performance-enhancing drugs. The scandal implicated high-profile athletes, including Olympic track and field star Marion Jones and baseball legends Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi. Conte served a four-month prison sentence in 2005 for his role in the scandal.

    The BALCO case unfolded when investigators from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) received a syringe containing traces of an unknown substance in 2003. This discovery led to a widespread investigation that exposed a sophisticated doping regime designed to evade detection. Marion Jones, after years of denial, admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs and was stripped of her three gold medals from the 2000 Sydney Olympics. She later served six months in prison for lying to investigators.

    The scandal also tarnished Major League Baseball, with several players testifying that they had used steroids provided by Greg Anderson, the personal trainer of Barry Bonds. Bonds claimed he had unknowingly taken steroids, believing them to be flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm.

    In later years, Conte sought to reshape his legacy by positioning himself as an anti-doping advocate, collaborating with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to combat drug use in sports. Despite his efforts, the BALCO scandal remains a dark chapter in the history of athletics and baseball.

  • Trelawny residents join long queues to fetch river water after Hurricane Melissa

    Trelawny residents join long queues to fetch river water after Hurricane Melissa

    In the wake of Hurricane Melissa, residents of Trelawny, Jamaica, are grappling with a severe water shortage as the National Water Commission (NWC) struggles to restore piped water services. The Martha Brae River, which reportedly overflowed during the storm, has become a critical source of water for many. Long queues of residents have been observed along the roadway from Martha Brae to Falmouth, collecting untreated river water for essential domestic uses such as bathing, laundry, and flushing toilets. The situation has drawn significant attention, with motor vehicles lining both sides of the road as people fill containers with the available water. One resident commented, ‘It’s clean river water flowing on both sides of the road. We don’t drink it directly, but if necessary, we can boil it.’ The crisis highlights the ongoing challenges faced by communities in the aftermath of natural disasters, underscoring the urgent need for infrastructure resilience and emergency response improvements.

  • Donation to be collected at Reggae Boyz, Curacao football match

    Donation to be collected at Reggae Boyz, Curacao football match

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — In a collaborative effort to aid Hurricane Melissa recovery, donations will be collected during the FIFA World Cup qualification match between Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz and Curaçao on November 18 at the National Stadium in Kingston. The initiative is spearheaded by the Jamaica Red Cross in partnership with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment, and Sport.

    Portfolio Minister Olivia Grange highlighted the significance of the initiative during a media briefing at Jamaica House on Monday. ‘This is one way the Reggae Boyz are contributing to the relief efforts,’ she stated, adding that discussions are ongoing with other national teams to explore additional support avenues.

    Minister Grange also revealed that the president of the Confederation of North, Central America, and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) will attend the match, underscoring the event’s importance. Furthermore, she announced the appointment of Bishop Herro Blair as the national coordinator of the Religious and Faith-Based Organisations team. Bishop Blair will lead engagement and coordinate relief efforts across diverse religious groups, including Rastafarians, Revivalists, Muslims, Hindus, and Baha’i.

    Expressing gratitude for the public’s unwavering support, Minister Grange encouraged everyone to participate in the recovery and rebuilding process. ‘We will get over this… We will recover and rebuild better than before,’ she affirmed, emphasizing the collective resilience of the nation.

  • ‘Painful chapter’

    ‘Painful chapter’

    The aftermath of Hurricane Melissa has brought profound emotional and logistical challenges to Jamaica, as recovery teams struggle to retrieve bodies from storm-ravaged communities. Information Minister Senator Dr. Dana Morris Dixon described the process as one of the most painful aspects of the disaster response, with some victims still trapped in inaccessible areas only reachable by helicopter. Speaking at a post-hurricane media briefing, she emphasized the emotional toll on both responders and families, as the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) and Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) work tirelessly to recover bodies scattered across isolated western parishes. The death toll has risen to 32, with eight additional cases under investigation to determine if they are storm-related. Recovery efforts have been hampered by impassable roads and washed-out bridges, forcing reliance on aerial missions. Helicopters have been crucial for transporting both the deceased and emergency supplies, though unstable terrain and lack of safe landing zones have added to the complexity. Morris Dixon stressed the importance of timely reporting from local representatives, who play a critical role in identifying marooned communities and prioritizing rescue missions. Meanwhile, Minister of Labour and Social Security Pearnel Charles Jr. revealed that 25 communities remain cut off, with hundreds of families displaced and many having lost everything. The government’s relief operation has expanded into a large-scale logistical effort involving multiple agencies and international partners, including Food For the Poor and the World Food Programme. Over 40,000 relief packages have been prepared, with plans to sustain affected families in the coming weeks. Despite challenges, Charles affirmed that aid has reached every parish, with social workers, JDF soldiers, and partners working tirelessly even in areas with no connectivity.