分类: sports

  • World pole vault record holder ‘Mondo’ Duplantis says he wants to visit Jamaica

    World pole vault record holder ‘Mondo’ Duplantis says he wants to visit Jamaica

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — Armand ‘Mondo’ Duplantis, the Swedish-American pole vault sensation and current world record holder, has expressed his enthusiasm for visiting Jamaica. In a heartfelt message shared on Instagram by Dr. Tahira Redwood, the 25-year-old athlete conveyed his desire to explore the island’s vibrant culture and connect with its people. Duplantis, who hails from Louisiana, acknowledged that Jamaica may not host many pole vault events but emphasized his eagerness to visit regardless. He stated, ‘Hey my Jamaica people, I really hope to see you soon. Probably not much pole vault events hosted in Jamaica, but I want to come anyway, the vibes look insane. I really need to come to Kingston. I need to come to Jamaica. Just tell me where to pull up and I’m there.’ Additionally, Duplantis showed interest in Jamaica’s renowned KFC chicken, which Dr. Redwood highlighted for its unique spicy flavor. This gesture underscores his curiosity about the island’s culinary offerings and cultural richness. Duplantis’s message has sparked excitement among Jamaicans, who are eager to welcome the global sports icon to their shores.

  • INTO THE FRAY

    INTO THE FRAY

    Ian Fray, a defender for Inter Miami, is determined to assist Jamaica, the country of his heritage, in securing a spot in the upcoming FIFA World Cup. Born and raised in the United States, Fray is eligible to represent Jamaica through his Jamaican father. The 23-year-old has been included in the Reggae Boyz 26-man squad for the Concacaf World Cup Qualifiers, with matches against Curacao on Friday and Bermuda on Tuesday at the National Stadium. Although Fray was previously called up during the September international window, he did not join the team after discussions with Inter Miami. This time, however, he has traveled to Jamaica and participated in the team’s training session at Sabina Park. Fray, who is versatile enough to play as a center back, full back, or defensive midfielder, expressed his satisfaction with the acclimatization process. ‘It’s been really nice. There’s a lot of energy, the guys are really welcoming; it’s been really fun,’ he said. Fray comes from a family with a strong connection to Jamaican football; his father, Michael, played for the youth team, and his sister, Marlee, has represented the Reggae Girlz at the under-20 and under-17 levels. Ian is now focused on continuing this family legacy and helping Jamaica end its nearly three-decade absence from the World Cup. ‘Six points out of two games? You can’t ask for a better start than that,’ he remarked. Despite the talent in the Jamaican squad, Fray is unlikely to be star-struck, as he plays alongside some of the greatest footballers of all time at Inter Miami, including Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, and Luis Suarez. Fray is also looking forward to playing in front of the home fans next week, recalling the sold-out crowd at the National Stadium during Inter Miami’s match against Cavalier FC in the Concacaf Champions Cup. ‘To be able to represent my country here in Jamaica, I’m really excited for it,’ he said. Jamaica currently leads the group with six points after victories over Bermuda and Trinidad and Tobago last month. Two more wins would secure their place in the World Cup.

  • Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first billionaire footballer

    Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first billionaire footballer

    Cristiano Ronaldo has achieved a historic milestone by becoming the first footballer to reach billionaire status. This landmark achievement was confirmed by the Bloomberg Billionaire Index, which tracks the wealth of the world’s richest individuals. The index evaluated Ronaldo’s net worth for the first time, factoring in his career earnings, lucrative investments, and high-profile endorsements. According to the index, Ronaldo’s net worth stands at an impressive US$1.4 billion (£1.04 billion). Over his illustrious career spanning from 2002 to 2023, Ronaldo has amassed more than US$550 million (£410 million) in salary alone. This figure includes substantial earnings from endorsement deals, such as his decade-long partnership with Nike, which reportedly paid him nearly US$18 million (£13.4 million) annually. In 2022, Ronaldo made headlines by joining Al-Nassr in the Saudi Pro League, where his annual salary exceeded US$237 million (£177 million). His initial contract concluded in June 2025, and he subsequently signed a new two-year deal reportedly worth over US$400 million (£298 million). This achievement not only cements Ronaldo’s legacy as one of the greatest footballers of all time but also highlights his unparalleled success off the pitch.

  • Fraser-Pryce to be honoured at ATHLOS on Friday

    Fraser-Pryce to be honoured at ATHLOS on Friday

    Jamaican sprint legend Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce will be celebrated this Friday at the debut ATHLOS event, hosted at New York’s Icahn Stadium, in recognition of her extraordinary career on the track. The event, which will also feature a women-only professional track and field competition, will honor Fraser-Pryce as a guest of honor. This tribute comes just days after the iconic sprinter officially announced her retirement from competitive athletics, concluding a remarkable 18-year journey that has inspired millions globally. Known for her unparalleled speed and resilience, Fraser-Pryce has been a dominant figure in the sport since her breakthrough at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. With three Olympic gold medals and ten World Championship titles to her name, her retirement marks the end of an era for one of track and field’s most celebrated athletes. ATHLOS, in a social media post, highlighted her legacy, stating, ‘Icons don’t just run fast, they move generations.’

  • Jamaica looks to host matches in 2031 FIFA Women’s World Cup

    Jamaica looks to host matches in 2031 FIFA Women’s World Cup

    Jamaica is poised to make history by potentially hosting matches during the 2031 FIFA Women’s World Cup, which will be jointly staged in the United States and Mexico. Michael Ricketts, President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), confirmed the island’s bid during an interview with Observer Online, revealing that an official announcement will be made in New York on October 20. This development underscores Jamaica’s growing influence in international football, particularly in women’s sports. Ricketts highlighted the remarkable progress of the Reggae Girlz, Jamaica’s national senior women’s team, which rose from a 119th global ranking to the top 40 under his leadership. The team has qualified for the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2019 and 2023, with their 2023 campaign marking a historic advancement to the Round of 16. The bid is supported by the Jamaican government and aligns with plans to renovate the National Stadium in Kingston by 2029. The upgrades will include enhanced facilities, increased seating capacity, and improved accessibility for all spectators. If successful, Jamaica would become the first Caribbean nation to host a senior World Cup match, further cementing its legacy in global football.

  • Jamaica scores big as Ricketts, Speid, and Edwards earn coveted FIFA Committee appointments

    Jamaica scores big as Ricketts, Speid, and Edwards earn coveted FIFA Committee appointments

    In a significant development for Caribbean football, three prominent Jamaican administrators have been appointed to FIFA Standing Committees, underscoring the global recognition of Jamaica’s football leadership. Michael Ricketts, President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), along with Rudolph Speid and Carlene Edwards, were named to key positions following a FIFA Council meeting last Thursday. Additionally, Molly Rhone and Ian Wilkinson were appointed to FIFA Independent Committees, further highlighting Jamaica’s growing influence in international football governance. Ricketts, who was named Deputy Chairperson of the Grassroots and Amateur Football Committee, expressed his enthusiasm, stating, ‘We are very happy and excited to represent our country at the highest level. This is a vote of confidence in our work and the quality of our administrators.’ Speid, the JFF’s Technical Committee Chairman and advisor to Reggae Boyz head coach Steve McClaren, was appointed to the Technical Development Committee. Edwards, a marketing and communications expert instrumental in Jamaica’s club licensing program, will serve on the Women’s National Team Competitions Committee. Ricketts emphasized Edwards’ contributions, noting her significant impact on football development across the Caribbean. The appointments also include Rhone, former president of Netball Jamaica and World Netball, to the Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee, and Wilkinson, former president of the Jamaica Chess Federation, to the Adjudicatory Chamber of the Ethics Committee. These appointments mark a milestone for Jamaican football, reflecting the nation’s commitment to advancing the sport both locally and globally.

  • ‘Whisper’ Richards gets Boyz call-up as injury replacement for Demarai Gray

    ‘Whisper’ Richards gets Boyz call-up as injury replacement for Demarai Gray

    Chelsea FC’s young winger Dujuan “Whisper” Richards has been called up to the Jamaican national team, the Reggae Boyz, as a replacement for Demarai Gray in the ongoing Concacaf World Cup qualifiers. The 19-year-old, who was initially omitted from the 26-man squad, received the call on Thursday and is scheduled to arrive in Curacao on Friday afternoon, just in time for the crucial match against the hosts at the Ergilio Hato Stadium. Richards, who has earned 10 caps for Jamaica’s senior men’s team, last played for the national side on October 23, 2023. Meanwhile, Gray, who has been sidelined, will return to England to rejoin his club, Birmingham City, for further medical assessments. The rest of the squad, excluding the suspended Kasey Palmer and Isaac Hayden, have already arrived in Curacao and are set to begin training on Thursday morning.

  • Dominica Football Association announces selection of the Senior Men’s Football National Team

    Dominica Football Association announces selection of the Senior Men’s Football National Team

    In preparation for the upcoming international matches scheduled for November and March, the Technical Staff of the Senior Men’s National Team has unveiled a roster of 36 local players. The selected athletes hail from various clubs across the region, including Dublanc FC, We United FC, Roosevelt Skerrit Bombers FC, Mahaut FC, Pointe Michel FC, Harlem United FC, East Central FC, South East FC, and St. Joseph FC. Among the notable names are Jerome Burkard, Jaheem Cuffy, Briel Thomas, Marcus Bredas, and Jervanie Xavier, alongside emerging talents such as Cobin Paul, Travist Joseph, and Savio Anselm. Training sessions commenced on Monday, October 6, 2025, at the Stockfarm Technical Centre, marking the beginning of an intensive preparation phase. This initiative underscores the team’s commitment to leveraging homegrown talent and fostering a competitive edge on the international stage. The diverse pool of players reflects a strategic blend of experience and youthful vigor, aiming to deliver a robust performance in the forthcoming fixtures.

  • Ricardo ‘Bibi’ Gardner to be conferred with OD on National Heroes’ Day

    Ricardo ‘Bibi’ Gardner to be conferred with OD on National Heroes’ Day

    KINGSTON, Jamaica—Ricardo ‘Bibi’ Gardner, a celebrated former star of Jamaica’s national football team, the Reggae Boyz, is set to receive the prestigious Order of Distinction in the Rank of Officer (OD) on National Heroes’ Day, October 20. This honor not only recognizes Gardner’s remarkable contributions to football but also celebrates his role in elevating Jamaica’s presence on the global sports stage.

  • LeBron’s ‘decision of all decisions’ a PR stunt

    LeBron’s ‘decision of all decisions’ a PR stunt

    LOS ANGELES, United States — The basketball world was sent into a frenzy this week as speculation mounted over a cryptic video released by NBA legend LeBron James. Dubbed the ‘Second Decision,’ the 10-second teaser posted on James’ social media channels sparked widespread anticipation, with many speculating it could signal his retirement at the end of the upcoming season. However, the video turned out to be a marketing ploy, announcing James’ partnership with a premium cognac brand set to launch in October. The teaser cleverly referenced James’ infamous 2010 ‘Decision,’ where he announced his move from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Miami Heat. The latest announcement, while unrelated to basketball, caused a surge in ticket prices for the Los Angeles Lakers’ final home game of the 2025-2026 season. Online marketplace Tickpick reported that the cheapest ticket for the Lakers’ game against the Utah Jazz on April 12, 2026, skyrocketed from $85 to $445 within hours of the video’s release. Other secondary market platforms like SeatGeek and Ticketmaster also saw prices soar, with listings reaching as high as $955. James, who is entering his 23rd NBA season at age 40, hinted at his impending retirement during a recent Lakers media event, stating, ‘Whatever the journey lays out this year, I’m super-invested because I don’t know when the end is. It’s a lot sooner than later.’ While the video ultimately revealed a business venture rather than a career decision, it underscored James’ enduring influence on both the sports and commercial worlds.