分类: society

  • ‘Every child is our child,’ says Senator Morris Dixon

    ‘Every child is our child,’ says Senator Morris Dixon

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — Senator Dana Morris Dixon, Minister of Education, Youth and Information, has called on all Jamaicans to take collective responsibility for the safety and well-being of the nation’s children. Her statement comes as authorities intensify efforts to locate Jayden Smith, a 12-year-old student from Manchester High School, who has been missing since last Friday.

  • WATCH: Police continue search for missing Manchester schoolboy

    WATCH: Police continue search for missing Manchester schoolboy

    In a dramatic turn of events, the Wesley Road area of Mandeville, Jamaica, became the focal point of a large-scale search operation on Wednesday evening. Reports of a sighting of Jayden Smith, a 12-year-old student from Manchester High who has been missing since last Friday, prompted an immediate response from both law enforcement and local residents. The search intensified after citizens reported seeing a child matching Jayden’s description, who reportedly fled when approached by passersby. Eyewitnesses described the scene, with one woman recounting how the boy ran off as she attempted to assist. ‘I was driving when I saw him, and a man was calling out for help. By the time I turned my car around, he had already disappeared,’ she said. Police confirmed they were alerted to the sighting and continued their search until late evening. The principal of Manchester High, Jasford Gabriel, along with school staff, also joined the efforts as the community rallied to locate the missing boy. The search, which began on Tuesday, remains ongoing, with authorities and locals determined to bring Jayden home safely.

  • Police treating death of parish judge as suspected suicide

    Police treating death of parish judge as suspected suicide

    TRELAWNY, Jamaica — Authorities are currently investigating the death of Parish Court Judge Ruth Lawrence as a suspected suicide. Lawrence was pronounced dead on Tuesday evening at the Falmouth Public General Hospital. Acting Commissioner of Police (ACP) Glendon Miller, overseeing the Area One Police Division, stated that the preliminary investigation points to suicide, though the inquiry remains in its early stages. ‘Our investigative team, led by Superintendent Jermaine Anglin, is meticulously gathering all necessary information to ensure a thorough examination,’ ACP Miller emphasized. Forensic investigations commenced last night and are ongoing, with statements being collected to piece together the circumstances surrounding her death. Lawrence was found unresponsive at her Coral Spring residence in Trelawny and was rushed to the hospital around 7:50 pm. Preliminary reports indicate no visible signs of physical injury on her body. The case continues to unfold as investigators work to confirm the cause of death.

  • Canadians with ‘X’ gender passports warned of US travel

    Canadians with ‘X’ gender passports warned of US travel

    The Canadian government has issued a travel advisory this week, cautioning citizens with passports bearing the nonbinary ‘X’ gender designation about potential challenges when entering the United States. Global Affairs Canada emphasized that while Canada issues passports with the ‘X’ gender identifier, it cannot ensure smooth entry or transit in countries that do not recognize this designation. The advisory, released on Monday, specifically highlighted the risk of entry restrictions in such nations. This warning comes amid ongoing tensions surrounding gender identity policies in the US. Since his return to the White House in January, President Donald Trump has taken a firm stance against transgender and nonbinary individuals, asserting in his inaugural address that there are only ‘two sexes, male and female.’ The US State Department, through an executive order, halted the issuance of passports with the ‘X’ gender marker or for individuals whose gender differs from their birth records. Although a court injunction has temporarily blocked this policy, a recent US appeals court decision denied the Trump administration’s efforts to reinstate it. Between 2019 and 2024, Canada has issued approximately 3,400 passports with the ‘X’ gender identifier, reflecting its commitment to inclusivity. However, this move has raised concerns for travelers navigating countries with differing gender recognition policies.

  • WATCH: 29 Knox College students escape serious injuries in Manchester bus crash

    WATCH: 29 Knox College students escape serious injuries in Manchester bus crash

    MANCHESTER, Jamaica—A group of 29 students from Knox College in Spalding narrowly avoided serious injuries when their Coaster bus veered off the Content to Williamsfield main road on Wednesday morning. The incident occurred shortly before 8:00 am, according to local police reports. Sergeant Florizel Williams, head of the Manchester Traffic Department, stated that the driver swerved left to avoid colliding with a vehicle that had abruptly stopped in front of the bus. This sudden maneuver caused the driver to lose control, resulting in the bus running off the road. Fortunately, only minor injuries were reported among the students. While most of the students proceeded to school, some were left traumatized and were picked up by their parents to return home. Sergeant Williams emphasized the importance of dash cameras in vehicles to clarify responsibility in such incidents. He urged motorists to install dash cams and suggested that insurance companies make their use mandatory to ensure clarity in accident investigations. Williams highlighted that dash cameras would help eliminate ambiguity in determining fault and improve overall road safety.

  • Prince Harry dials in to latest London court media battle

    Prince Harry dials in to latest London court media battle

    Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, was reportedly connected remotely to a London court hearing on Wednesday, marking the latest chapter in his ongoing legal confrontation with British media outlets. The hearing is part of a broader case against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, which Harry and six other high-profile individuals accuse of serious privacy violations.

  • PNP mourns the passing of Parish Court Judge Ruth Lawrence

    PNP mourns the passing of Parish Court Judge Ruth Lawrence

    KINGSTON, Jamaica—The People’s National Party (PNP) has expressed profound sorrow over the passing of Trelawny Parish Court Judge Ruth Lawrence, who died on Tuesday evening at the Falmouth Public General Hospital. In a statement issued on Wednesday, Opposition Spokesperson on Justice, Zuleika Jess, highlighted Judge Lawrence’s exceptional contributions to Jamaica’s legal system. ‘Judge Lawrence’s passing is a profound loss for our nation. She was a paragon of integrity and compassion, leaving an enduring legacy in the legal profession. My heartfelt condolences go out to her family, friends, judicial colleagues, and the broader legal community,’ Jess remarked. The PNP emphasized Lawrence’s distinguished career, noting her unwavering dedication to justice and her profound respect for individual rights. ‘Her exemplary service embodied the principles of fairness and equity, earning her the admiration of her peers and the gratitude of those she served. Her legacy will undoubtedly inspire future generations of legal practitioners and public servants across Jamaica,’ the party stated. Judge Lawrence’s life and work stand as a testament to her commitment to justice, leaving a lasting impact on the nation’s legal landscape.

  • Single Lane Traffic on VRN and AR

    Single Lane Traffic on VRN and AR

    The Ministry of Works’ Project Implementation Management Unit (PIMU) has announced the implementation of single-lane traffic on Valley Road North (VRN) and Anchorage Road (AR) to facilitate critical infrastructure repairs. The measures, which began this week, are part of the Second Road Infrastructure Rehabilitation Project initiated by the Government of Antigua and Barbuda. On Valley Road North, single-lane traffic will be in effect daily from approximately 8:00 a.m. to allow for the completion of headwalls, concrete swales, and asphalt works. Similarly, Anchorage Road will experience single-lane traffic during the same hours to facilitate road markings, sidewalks, and culvert installations. Flag persons will be stationed at the sites to guide motorists, and heavy-duty equipment will be operational in the vicinity. Authorities urge drivers to adhere to instructions for safe passage. While the repairs may cause delays, all businesses in the area remain open. C.O. Williams Ltd., the contractor overseeing the project, has expressed regret for any inconvenience caused and encourages stakeholders to adjust their travel plans accordingly. For further inquiries, the public can contact the C.O. Williams Project office at 562-9573.

  • ABWU Signs New Collective Bargaining Agreements with American University of Antigua

    ABWU Signs New Collective Bargaining Agreements with American University of Antigua

    The Antigua and Barbuda Workers’ Union (ABWU) has successfully negotiated two new Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) with the American University of Antigua (AUA), effective from January 1, 2024, to December 31, 2026. These agreements mark a significant milestone for both line and security employees, introducing substantial financial and non-financial benefits. Key financial gains include a shared 2.5% increase in the thrift fund contribution for the first year, followed by annual salary increases of 3% in the second and third years. Additionally, the overtime clause has been revised, allowing staff to earn up to four times their hourly rate under specific conditions. Enhancements to call-out, shift, meal, and graveyard shift allowances further recognize the demands of shift work. On the non-financial front, paternity leave has been extended from five to seven days, and administrative staff will now receive uniforms. ABWU President Kem Riley praised the agreements as a reasonable improvement over previous terms, highlighting the resilience of the workers and the collective strength of the Union. He commended the shop stewards and works committee for their active involvement in the negotiation process. The ABWU reaffirmed its commitment to protecting workers’ rights and advancing fair labor standards across all sectors in Antigua and Barbuda.

  • BCC responds after staff walk off the job

    BCC responds after staff walk off the job

    The Barbados Community College (BCC) has recognized the industrial action initiated today by its staff, represented by the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW), in response to the College’s decision to fill a vacant position. Teachers have been absent from their duties since morning, holding placards in protest, with NUPW representatives actively supporting the demonstration. In a statement released on Tuesday, the College affirmed its respect for employees’ rights to engage in industrial action and emphasized its dedication to fostering open dialogue to address the issue. ‘Today’s action stems from the College’s decision to fill a vacant post,’ the statement noted. ‘While discussions are ongoing, our priority remains supporting students’ learning experiences and access to essential services.’ Principal Annette Alleyne highlighted the administration’s focus on upholding academic standards and minimizing disruptions to student learning. ‘We deeply value our staff and their pivotal role in advancing the College’s vision and mission,’ she stated. ‘We respect their concerns and are committed to collaborative efforts. Our primary goal is to maintain educational quality and reduce interruptions for our students. The Barbados Community College, like our nation, cherishes freedom of expression and ensures that voices are heard.’ The College expressed optimism that ongoing discussions with staff and union representatives will lead to a mutually beneficial resolution. ‘BCC remains hopeful that continued dialogue will result in an agreement that supports staff well-being while enabling the College to deliver high-quality education and training to Barbados and the region,’ the statement concluded.