分类: society

  • Soufrière Jetty access restricted amid ongoing construction, says MP

    Soufrière Jetty access restricted amid ongoing construction, says MP

    A recent online video has sparked public concern over the denial of access to Soufrière’s main jetty for boat operators and passengers. However, Soufrière MP Emma Hippolyte has clarified that the restriction is essential due to safety risks and ongoing construction activities. During a pre-cabinet press briefing, Hippolyte revealed that the main jetty remains severely damaged, despite a temporary repair last year that permitted limited offloading. She emphasized that the area is currently unsafe for use. ‘All boat owners were notified that the main jetty is off-limits for now. The ongoing construction makes it hazardous,’ she stated. As an alternative, boat operators have been directed to three designated areas for passenger offloading. Hippolyte apologized to affected visitors but stressed the importance of boat owners adhering to guidelines issued by the Soufrière Regional Development Foundation. She also highlighted broader waterfront development plans, including major upgrades tied to Global Ports Holding and other government projects. ‘The entire Soufrière waterfront will undergo a transformation,’ she said, mentioning the construction of a new Soufrière Administrative Building. ‘We are conducting soil tests to ensure the building’s foundation is robust and durable,’ she added.

  • No new lighting for Independence events at Windsor Park Stadium, reports a disappointed Skerrit

    No new lighting for Independence events at Windsor Park Stadium, reports a disappointed Skerrit

    Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has voiced his disappointment over the delayed restoration of the lighting system at the Windsor Park Sports Stadium (WPSS), which will not be operational in time for Dominica’s 2025 Independence celebrations. The stadium, severely damaged by Hurricane Maria in 2017, has undergone extensive upgrades, including roof repairs and the installation of a new electronic scoreboard, with millions invested by the government. However, the much-anticipated lighting system remains incomplete.

  • Police officer Karim Warner guilty of firing 12 shots at car; sentencing Friday

    Police officer Karim Warner guilty of firing 12 shots at car; sentencing Friday

    In a highly emotional courtroom scene, Police Officer Karim Warner was found guilty on Wednesday of discharging a firearm in a public place. The verdict, delivered by Magistrate Ngaio Emanuel, stems from an incident that occurred on December 3, 2022, near the Emerald Cove Resort in Willikies. Warner, visibly distraught, broke down in tears as the judgment was read. The case involved a confrontation during an attempt to reclaim a leased vehicle, during which Warner fired 12 rounds at a white Toyota Mark X with two occupants. According to court proceedings, the male occupant refused to surrender the vehicle before the shots were fired. Magistrate Emanuel has scheduled sentencing for Friday, and Warner will remain on bail until then. The case has drawn significant attention, highlighting the complexities and consequences of law enforcement actions in high-pressure situations.

  • All Saints Road Among Next Phase of Planned Road Works

    All Saints Road Among Next Phase of Planned Road Works

    The Ministry of Works in Antigua and Barbuda has announced significant advancements in its nationwide road infrastructure projects during September. The ministry praised the relentless efforts of contractors, engineers, and road crews, who have been instrumental in driving the ongoing ‘road works revolution.’

    In a recent statement, officials highlighted that concrete plants and quarries operated at maximum capacity to meet the high demand for materials. Simultaneously, trucking and construction teams executed upgrades across numerous communities, ensuring steady progress.

    The ministry also revealed that detailed plans for the upcoming rehabilitation of All Saints Road and several other major highways will be disclosed shortly. These projects are part of the next phase of the comprehensive road upgrade initiative.

    ‘Behind every road upgrade were countless hands at work — our concrete plant batching overtime, quarries running at full capacity, dedicated truck drivers, skilled engineers, committed contractors, and resilient road crews all making this consistent progress possible,’ the ministry stated.

    The ministry acknowledged the support of Prime Minister Gaston Browne, Public Works Minister Maria Browne, and partner agencies such as the Antigua Public Utilities Authority and the Antigua and Barbuda Transport Board. They emphasized that more extensive upgrades are on the horizon, aimed at building resilient roadways and modernizing the nation’s infrastructure.

    This initiative is part of a broader effort to enhance the country’s transportation network, ensuring safer and more efficient travel for residents and visitors alike.

  • Passenger charged with robbing driver of iPhone and cash

    Passenger charged with robbing driver of iPhone and cash

    In a shocking incident in St Mary, Jamaica, a 21-year-old man has been formally charged with robbery with aggravation following an alleged theft of an Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max and $22,000 in cash. The accused, identified as Javaine Jones from Brown’s Street in Baileys Vale, reportedly committed the crime on Stennett Street in Port Maria. According to police reports, the incident occurred on the evening of Sunday, September 21, around 7:20 pm. The victim, who was transporting Jones home, was forced to stop at a specific location on the road. Jones allegedly brandished a ratchet knife, held it to the victim’s throat, and stole the high-end smartphone, valued at $130,000, along with the cash. After the robbery, Jones fled the scene. The victim promptly reported the incident to the Port Maria police, who initiated an investigation. Jones was subsequently arrested and formally charged after being interviewed in the presence of his attorney. His court date remains pending as the legal process unfolds.

  • 3.3% jobless rate masks ‘crisis of underemployment and informality’

    3.3% jobless rate masks ‘crisis of underemployment and informality’

    Jamaica is currently celebrating a record-low unemployment rate of 3.3 per cent, a figure that appears to signal economic progress. However, economists caution that this statistic conceals significant underlying issues, including widespread underemployment, a vast informal sector, and a disengaged youth population, all of which pose threats to the nation’s sustainable growth.

    While only 49,200 Jamaicans are officially unemployed, a broader measure of labour underutilisation reveals a more concerning 6.7 per cent rate. Economist Wendel Ivey highlights that just 45 per cent of the 1.4-million-strong workforce is formally registered, indicating that over half of the labour force operates in the informal economy without social protections or job security.

    For individuals like D’Angelo, a skilled chef with seven years of experience, this reality is deeply personal. He describes his work as sporadic, relying on event bookings for income. “If an event is happening, we get three or four days for that week, and in other weeks when there is no work, we try to hustle otherwise,” he explains. D’Angelo is one of 25,400 Jamaicans classified as ‘time-related underemployed’—working part-time but desiring and available for more hours. This underemployment, Ivey argues, reflects a misalignment between skills and job opportunities, limiting productivity and earnings potential.

    The informal sector exacerbates these challenges. With only 641,495 PAYE taxpayers out of 1.4 million employed workers, Ivey notes that the majority of the workforce lacks formal registration, reducing tax revenues and constraining productivity growth.

    A more profound crisis lies in the 124,700 young people classified as NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training), a rate of 25 per cent—well above the Latin America and Caribbean average of 18.3 per cent. Ivey warns that this represents a significant underutilisation of human capital, with long-term implications for the economy.

    Job creation trends further complicate the situation. The largest employment increases have been in sectors like wholesale and retail trade, which Ivey criticises for offering limited productivity gains and low wages. This, he argues, reinforces cycles of underemployment and informality, while also contributing to brain drain as skilled workers seek opportunities abroad.

    To address these issues, Ivey calls for economic diversification, particularly into manufacturing and logistics, alongside targeted skills development and entrepreneurship programmes for disengaged youth. Until these structural flaws are addressed, Jamaica’s celebrated unemployment rate will remain a superficial victory, masking deeper vulnerabilities in the labour market.

  • Australian drug kingpin to face retrial in police informant scandal

    Australian drug kingpin to face retrial in police informant scandal

    In a landmark decision, a Melbourne court has ruled that Tony Mokbel, one of Australia’s most infamous drug kingpins, must face a retrial following revelations that his defense lawyer was secretly a police informant. Mokbel, a central figure in Melbourne’s prolonged gangland war, was sentenced to 30 years in prison in 2012 after admitting guilt in orchestrating a vast drug syndicate. His criminal empire, known as “The Company,” was responsible for numerous violent deaths, later dramatized in the popular Australian TV series “Underbelly.”

    The case took a dramatic turn when it was discovered that Mokbel’s high-profile lawyer, Nicola Gobbo, had been covertly providing information to the police while ostensibly defending her clients. Mokbel, who spent nearly 18 years in prison, was released on bail earlier this year after a court determined he had a substantial chance of overturning his convictions. His legal team argued that Mokbel would not have pleaded guilty had he known about Gobbo’s dual role.

    On Friday, the court acquitted Mokbel of one charge, ordered a retrial for another, and dismissed his appeal regarding a third charge. Mokbel remains on bail as the case is set to return to court later this year.

    Gobbo, also known as Lawyer X and Informer 3838, revealed in a 2015 letter that her information led to the arrest and charging of over 300 individuals. A 2020 Royal Commission of inquiry condemned Gobbo’s actions during a period of intense gang violence in Melbourne, describing them as “fundamental and appalling breaches” of her professional obligations. Gobbo, who began her double life as a police informant in 1993 after being charged with drug offenses, played a pivotal role in gangland prosecutions between 2005 and 2009.

    Victorian police spent five years and millions of dollars in legal battles to conceal Gobbo’s identity, fearing for her safety. In 2024, Gobbo testified in court about her life in hiding, expressing her exhaustion and despair. “I’m tired and I’m broken,” she said. “I’ve just had enough.”

  • Diddy pleads for judge’s mercy ahead of sentencing

    Diddy pleads for judge’s mercy ahead of sentencing

    In a heartfelt letter to the judge overseeing his case, American rapper Sean Combs, widely known as Diddy, expressed profound remorse for his past actions and detailed his transformative journey during incarceration. The letter, published by CNN, was penned a day before his sentencing on charges related to prostitution and domestic violence. Combs admitted to assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Cassandra Ventura, and acknowledged the irreversible damage caused by his actions. He described his time in jail as a period of deep introspection, where the ‘old’ Diddy died, and a new, reformed individual emerged. Combs emphasized his commitment to sobriety, personal growth, and mentoring fellow inmates, highlighting the positive impact of his ‘Free Game’ program, which fosters unity and learning among diverse prison populations. He pleaded for mercy, not for himself, but for his seven children, who have already endured the loss of their mother. Combs vowed to use his experience to prevent others from making similar mistakes, promising to dedicate his life to being a better father, son, and community leader.

  • Two women further their dreams with FHCCU scholarship and grant

    Two women further their dreams with FHCCU scholarship and grant

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — The First Heritage Co-operative Credit Union Limited (FHC) and its foundation have once again demonstrated their commitment to empowering individuals through education and entrepreneurship. On Thursday, August 28, 2025, the FHC Credit Union 2025 Scholarship and Awards Ceremony took place at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel under the theme, “Play to Win: Strength in Strategy, Power in Performance.” The event celebrated the achievements of students and entrepreneurs who received scholarships and grants to further their aspirations. Among the beneficiaries were Gayon Stewart and Renae McEachron, whose stories highlight the transformative impact of this support. Gayon Stewart, a dedicated educator pursuing a primary teacher education degree at St. Joseph Teachers’ College, was awarded the Renald Mason Scholarship for her outstanding academic performance, achieving a 3.7 GPA. Specializing in science and mathematics, Stewart’s journey has been marked by resilience and determination. A mother of three, she had to delay her educational ambitions to support her family. Now, with her children grown, she is seizing the opportunity to fulfill her lifelong passion for teaching. The scholarship provides her with financial stability, allowing her to focus on her studies without the burden of financial stress. Renae McEachron, an ambitious entrepreneur, was one of three recipients of the entrepreneurship grant. Her agro-business, Breezy Castle Farm, located in St. Mary, will benefit from the $500,000 grant to modernize operations and implement irrigation systems. This innovation will enable year-round planting, overcoming the challenges posed by seasonal droughts. McEachron’s journey has been fraught with setbacks, including praedial larceny that forced her to abandon farming for a time. Now, with a secure location and renewed determination, she is expanding her farm to include animal rearing and storage facilities. The ceremony also recognized other outstanding individuals. In the tertiary category, $1.7 million was distributed among recipients of the Renald Mason, Oswald Thorbourne, and sports education scholarships. Additionally, ten high school students received over $600,000 in academic awards and grants for their exceptional performances in the 2025 Primary Exit Profile. The FHC Credit Union’s initiatives underscore the importance of strategic investment in education and entrepreneurship as catalysts for community development and economic growth.

  • Woman’s Club Foundation of Jamaica officially launched

    Woman’s Club Foundation of Jamaica officially launched

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Woman’s Club Foundation of Jamaica (WCFJ) recently celebrated its official launch at the Terra Nova All Suite Hotel, marking a pivotal moment in its mission to uphold a legacy of service and nation-building. Established in 2020 during the challenging COVID-19 pandemic, the foundation has emerged with renewed determination to support Jamaica’s most vulnerable populations.