分类: society

  • Ann Marie Davis: My office will address expanding menstrual products in country

    Ann Marie Davis: My office will address expanding menstrual products in country

    Ann Marie Davis, the spouse of the Prime Minister, has announced plans to broaden the availability of menstrual products across the nation, responding to increasing demands for affordability and variety. This initiative aims to introduce menstrual cups and period underwear to better cater to the diverse needs of women and girls. Mrs. Davis emphasized the importance of offering a range of options to accommodate different users, including students in school swimming programs and elderly women in care facilities. She highlighted that period underwear, in particular, would be more suitable for older women, promoting dignity in personal care. The announcement was made following the launch of the D6 Project documentary earlier this week. Mrs. Davis stressed the necessity of dignity and proper preparation in addressing menstrual health, stating that access to sanitary items is a fundamental right, not a privilege. This renewed focus aligns with advocacy from Equality Bahamas, which recently called on the government to address the high cost and limited variety of feminine hygiene products. The group recommended tax exemptions, local manufacturing, and greater availability of reusable alternatives. Mrs. Davis previously initiated a national feminine hygiene product distribution program in June, which continues to receive widespread requests for more assistance. She reiterated her commitment to ensuring that all women, regardless of income or location, have access to affordable menstrual supplies and the ability to choose what works best for them. ‘We have to diversify in how we prepare ourselves,’ Mrs. Davis said. ‘We are diversifying in every other way, and we have to do the same for menstrual care.’

  • Road deaths surge beyond 300, says ITA

    Road deaths surge beyond 300, says ITA

    Jamaica is grappling with a severe road safety crisis as the number of fatalities from motor vehicle crashes has exceeded 300 since the beginning of 2025. According to the latest statistics released by the Island Traffic Authority (ITA) on Monday, October 6, a total of 303 lives have been lost in 265 fatal collisions. This marks a troubling increase of 5% in fatalities and a 7% rise in fatal crashes compared to the same period in the previous year. Motorcyclists bear the brunt of this tragedy, accounting for 88 deaths, or 29% of the total fatalities. Private motor vehicle drivers follow with 57 deaths (19%), while pedestrians and private motor vehicle passengers account for 55 (18%) and 50 (17%) deaths, respectively. Pedalcyclists and pillion passengers represent smaller but significant portions, with 21 (7%) and 14 (5%) deaths, respectively. Alarmingly, vulnerable road users—pedestrians, pedalcyclists, motorcyclists, and pillion passengers—comprise 59% of all fatalities, while passengers account for 24%. The ITA also highlights a stark gender disparity, with males representing 85% of the fatalities and females 15%. These figures underscore the urgent need for enhanced road safety measures and public awareness campaigns to curb this escalating crisis.

  • Documentary on trauma caused by Dorian to premiere October 18

    Documentary on trauma caused by Dorian to premiere October 18

    A groundbreaking documentary, titled “D6 Project: We Are Not Okay,” is set to premiere on October 18 at the Atlantis Theatre on Paradise Island. Directed by Bahamian journalist and filmmaker Dr. Juliette Storr, the film delves into the enduring emotional scars left by Hurricane Dorian and the COVID-19 pandemic, urging a national dialogue on mental health. Dr. Storr, inspired by her volunteer work with Dorian survivors, sought to uncover the silent suffering that persisted long after the initial crisis. Collaborating with the Bahamas Psychological Association (BPA), the film provides a platform for survivors and mental health professionals to share their stories, emphasizing the need for robust mental health policies. Ann Marie Davis, spouse of the Prime Minister and project patron, highlighted the importance of seeking help, stating, “Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.” The documentary, which has already garnered eight international awards, including Best Documentary at the London Independent Film Awards, is the first in a three-part series aimed at fostering mental health awareness and preparedness for future climate disasters. Film editor Justin Williamson, who spent over two years working on the project, emphasized its lasting relevance, stating, “This project should be shown for generations to come, reminding us of the work still to be done.” Tickets for the premiere are available online, ranging from $25 to $95.

  • Police seeking father of Christiana High student found dead in burnt-out refrigerator

    Police seeking father of Christiana High student found dead in burnt-out refrigerator

    In a tragic turn of events, the decomposed body of 13-year-old Santina Sergeant, a student at Christiana High School, was discovered in a burnt-out refrigerator behind her family home in Baillieston, Clarendon. The grim discovery was made on Monday evening, October 6, by a search team from the Christiana Police Station. Santina had been reported missing by her father, Lawrence Sergeant, on Friday, October 3. The body, believed to be Santina’s, was found in an advanced state of decomposition. The Manchester police are now leading the investigation and are actively searching for Lawrence Sergeant, whom they believe may hold crucial information. Superintendent Carey Duncan, head of the Manchester police, confirmed that special units have been deployed to locate him. Meanwhile, the police are providing victim support and counseling to the Christiana High School community to help them cope with the shocking incident.

  • Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

    Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

    COPENHAGEN, Denmark — In a bold move to protect the mental and social well-being of its youth, Denmark has announced plans to implement a social media ban for children under the age of 15. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen unveiled the initiative during her parliamentary address at the opening of the autumn session, though specifics regarding the platforms affected and enforcement mechanisms remain unclear. The proposed legislation would grant parents the authority to permit their children to use social media starting at age 13. Frederiksen emphasized the detrimental impact of digital platforms, stating, ‘The cell phone and social media are robbing our children of their childhood,’ and cited a concerning statistic: 60% of Danish boys aged 11 to 19 prefer staying home over socializing with friends. This move aligns Denmark with global efforts to mitigate online harm to young people. Australia, for instance, has already enacted a ban on social media for users under 16, effective late 2024, though enforcement details are still pending. Similarly, Greece recently proposed establishing an ‘age of digital adulthood’ across the European Union, requiring parental consent for minors to access social media. Denmark’s initiative underscores a growing international recognition of the need to regulate children’s digital engagement to foster healthier developmental environments.

  • Single Lane Traffic on Valley Road North and Anchorage Road

    Single Lane Traffic on Valley Road North and Anchorage Road

    The Ministry of Works’ Project Implementation Management Unit (PIMU) has announced the implementation of single-lane traffic on Valley Road North and Anchorage Road to facilitate critical infrastructure repairs. The temporary traffic arrangement, effective daily from 8:00 a.m., is part of the Second Road Infrastructure Rehabilitation Project undertaken by the Government of Antigua and Barbuda. On Valley Road North, the work includes road markings, drainage systems, headwalls, concrete swales, and asphalt repairs. Similarly, Anchorage Road will see the completion of road markings, drainage, and sidewalks. Flag persons will be stationed to guide motorists, ensuring safe passage amidst heavy-duty equipment operations. While the repairs may cause delays, all businesses in the area remain open. C.O. Williams Ltd., the contractor overseeing the project, has expressed regret for any inconvenience caused and urges stakeholders to adjust their travel plans accordingly. The initiative underscores the government’s commitment to enhancing road infrastructure for improved safety and efficiency.

  • Police, Family Appeal for Help in Locating Missing Teen Dejahnique Charles

    Police, Family Appeal for Help in Locating Missing Teen Dejahnique Charles

    Authorities and family members are urgently seeking the public’s help in locating Dejahnique Charles, a teenager from Barnes Hill who has been reported missing. According to reports, Dejahnique left her home at approximately 1:40 p.m. on Saturday to attend the Mega Bounce event. While she was seen at the venue, she has not returned home since.

  • Police Probe Two Separate Suicide Attempts in Freetown and Ottos

    Police Probe Two Separate Suicide Attempts in Freetown and Ottos

    In a distressing turn of events, two separate suicide attempts were reported in Freetown and Ottos on Saturday, prompting police investigations and urgent medical interventions. The incidents, occurring hours apart, involved a woman from Freetown and a man from Ottos, both of whom are now recovering at the Sir Lester Bird Medical Centre.

  • The magic and miracle of education

    The magic and miracle of education

    On September 27, 2025, Grenada’s Prime Minister Dickon Mitchell delivered a compelling speech at the United Nations under the theme “Better Together.” Mitchell emphasized the transformative power of education, describing it as a “lifeline” and a “bridge between limitation and possibility.” His address highlighted the critical role education plays in empowering individuals and communities, a sentiment deeply rooted in Grenada’s history and its leaders’ vision for national development. Mitchell’s speech underscored the significant strides made in Grenada’s education sector under the current NDC administration, including the removal of administration fees, technological upgrades for schools, and support for institutions impacted by Hurricane Beryl. Education, he argued, is not merely a tool for social mobility but a cornerstone for creating active, informed citizens and fostering global unity. Mitchell also aligned his vision with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 4, which advocates for inclusive and equitable quality education worldwide. He particularly emphasized the importance of educating women and girls, noting its potential to elevate them from the margins to leadership roles within communities. While Grenada has made commendable progress in eradicating illiteracy and improving school attendance, challenges such as educational inequality, financial barriers, and limited adult education opportunities remain. Mitchell called for a transformative approach to education, one that integrates formal, informal, and community-based learning to ensure lifelong access for all. He also acknowledged the vital contributions of NGOs like GRENED and NEWLO, which have worked tirelessly to provide resources and opportunities to disadvantaged individuals. Despite these efforts, Mitchell stressed the need for systemic change to make education truly universal and empowering. His speech served as both a celebration of Grenada’s achievements and a call to action for continued progress in the nation’s educational journey.

  • Antigua and Barbuda to Add Two Million Gallons of Water Per Day by the end of the month

    Antigua and Barbuda to Add Two Million Gallons of Water Per Day by the end of the month

    Prime Minister Gaston Browne has announced a significant upgrade to Antigua and Barbuda’s water infrastructure, with plans to increase daily water production by an additional two million gallons. This initiative aims to strengthen the nation’s water resilience and ensure a reliable supply throughout the year. Speaking on the Browne and Browne Show on Pointe FM, Browne revealed that the expansion will be achieved through the construction and upgrading of reverse osmosis (RO) plants, including facilities at Barnacle Point and Bethesda. ‘We’re adding another two million gallons of water per day,’ Browne stated. ‘We’ve already addressed water shortages; now, we’re building redundancy to maintain system reliability.’ The prime minister emphasized that the government’s goal extends beyond meeting current demand. Instead, the focus is on creating a robust system capable of sustaining production even during plant maintenance or drought conditions. ‘We’re not just meeting demand — we’re getting ahead of it,’ Browne explained. ‘The aim is to ensure that even if one plant goes down, there’s no disruption.’ This investment is part of a broader strategy to enhance national infrastructure resilience, complementing ongoing efforts to improve roads, electricity supply, and public facilities. The additional production capacity will elevate Antigua and Barbuda’s total water output well above domestic and commercial needs, marking a pivotal moment in the country’s long-standing battle against water scarcity. Browne described this development as ‘a turning point’ in the nation’s journey toward water security.