分类: society

  • Soldiers injured in Harbour Street crash

    Soldiers injured in Harbour Street crash

    KINGSTON, Jamaica — A collision occurred on Harbour Street in downtown Kingston early Friday morning, leaving at least two military personnel injured. According to reports confirmed by Observer Online, the police have stated that there were no fatalities resulting from the incident. While specific details about the crash remain unclear, social media footage indicates that a military vehicle and another car were involved in the accident. Viral videos depict two individuals in military uniforms on the ground near the crash site. One soldier is seen leaning against a stoplight pole, receiving assistance from a colleague, while the second injured individual lies on the sidewalk. Authorities are expected to release further details as the investigation progresses. (Photo: Llewellyn Wynter)

  • 10% offer to public servants may have led to TTUTA head’s defeat

    10% offer to public servants may have led to TTUTA head’s defeat

    In a significant shift for the Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association (TTUTA), Crystal Bevin Ashe has been elected as the new president, succeeding Martin Lum Kin. The election, held on October 14, saw Ashe secure 3,546 votes, far outpacing Lum Kin’s 1,019. The outcome appears to have been influenced by the government’s last-minute decision to grant public servants a ten per cent pay increase, a move that contrasted sharply with Lum Kin’s acceptance of a five per cent wage offer earlier this year. Ashe, while cautious in his remarks, hinted that Lum Kin’s handling of the wage negotiations and a perceived lack of communication with the membership may have contributed to his defeat. ‘The main thing is that the membership wants to be communicated with,’ Ashe told Newsday, emphasizing the need for transparency in decision-making. Despite the circumstances, Ashe spoke respectfully of Lum Kin, describing him as ‘a pleasant, soft-spoken gentleman’ and acknowledging his congratulatory call post-election. Ashe, who remains a School Supervisor I until his official installation as TTUTA president within the next two weeks, indicated that while he would not actively pursue reopening wage negotiations with the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO), he would consider any offers made. ‘If it is offered to us, we would not deny the membership that opportunity of an increased wage,’ he said. The new payments, though not yet disbursed, have been ratified by the Ministry of Finance, with $214 million allocated annually and $730 million in arrears due by December 2025. Reflecting on his victory, Ashe expressed humility and a commitment to advocating for teachers’ interests, particularly those outlined in the Rebirth manifesto. He also pledged to work collaboratively with both his fellow elected officers and the Ministry of Education, stating, ‘I have a talent for getting people to work together as a cohesive unit.’

  • Cave Valley main road impassable

    Cave Valley main road impassable

    Residents and commuters in St Ann, Jamaica, are facing significant disruptions as the Cave Valley main road, a crucial artery connecting to Spalding in Clarendon, has become impassable. The situation stems from relentless heavy rainfall and rapidly rising water levels in the region. Local authorities have issued an urgent advisory, urging the public to seek alternative routes to avoid delays and potential hazards. The police are actively monitoring the situation and have promised to provide timely updates as conditions evolve. This development underscores the broader challenges posed by extreme weather events, which continue to impact transportation infrastructure and daily life across the island.

  • Appeal Court partially upholds ruling in El Socorro property dispute

    Appeal Court partially upholds ruling in El Socorro property dispute

    The Court of Appeal in Trinidad and Tobago has partially upheld a High Court decision that nullified demolition orders issued by the San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation (SLRC) against two property owners in El Socorro. The case, involving brothers Primnath Geelal and Rupnarine Geelal, centered on allegations of unauthorized building additions dating back to 2017 and 2018. The SLRC had issued ‘show cause’ and ‘demolition’ notices, claiming the structures violated the Public Health Ordinance and Municipal Corporations Act. The Geelals argued that the buildings were over 40 years old, with only minor cosmetic changes made since 2014. In October, Justices Prakash Moosai, Gillian Lucky, and Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell ruled that the SLRC acted unfairly by failing to conduct a proper inquiry or ensure procedural fairness. While the court upheld the nullification of a December 2017 demolition notice due to procedural unfairness, it reinstated a subsequent show cause notice. Justice Donaldson-Honeywell emphasized that enforcement actions must comply with natural justice and constitutional safeguards. The court ordered an oral hearing by January 30, 2026, for Primnath Geelal to present evidence on whether the disputed works were structural or cosmetic. Costs were awarded to the Geelals, with the SLRC directed to pay two-thirds of assessed costs to Primnath and full costs to Rupnarine, who was never served any notice. The ruling highlighted that planning regulation enforcement must be tailored to the specific facts of each case.

  • Judge: Charge or release suspects in murder of ‘Clubs’

    Judge: Charge or release suspects in murder of ‘Clubs’

    The Port of Spain High Court has mandated the release of two individuals detained in connection with the disappearance and murder of 60-year-old Charleville businessman Imraz “Clubs” Ali, unless formal charges are filed by 4 pm on October 17. Justice Karen Reid issued the order on October 16 following a virtual hearing of a habeas corpus application submitted on behalf of the suspects—a market vendor and a laborer—against the Commissioner of Police. The court ruled that the second applicant must be released immediately if no charges are brought by the stipulated deadline. Additionally, the judge noted that the investigative file for the first applicant, who accused the police of misconduct, had been forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The judge emphasized that his detention should not extend beyond that of the other applicant, pending advice from the DPP. Attorney Taradath Singh represented both individuals. Ali’s body was discovered on October 11 near a precipice along the North Coast Road, over a month after he was reported missing on September 4. The suspects were taken into custody on October 9.

  • Bog Walk Gorge impassable

    Bog Walk Gorge impassable

    In a recent development, authorities in St Catherine, Jamaica, have issued a critical advisory to motorists regarding the Bog Walk Gorge. The area has been rendered impassable due to a combination of falling boulders from the surrounding hills and rapidly rising water levels. The local police force has strongly urged drivers to seek alternative routes to ensure their safety. The situation is being closely monitored, and further updates will be provided as more information becomes available. This disruption underscores the ongoing challenges posed by natural hazards in the region and highlights the importance of adhering to safety advisories during such events.

  • Divali Nagar highlights

    Divali Nagar highlights

    The National Council of Indian Culture (NCIC) launched its annual Divali Nagar festival on October 11 at the Divali Nagar compound in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago. This year’s theme, ‘Loka Sangraha – Welfare of the World,’ underscores the universal principles of Hindu philosophy and their relevance in today’s global society. The festival, a vibrant celebration of Indian culture and traditions, featured a series of captivating performances and rituals. Among the highlights was Ishana Ramjit of the Shiva Ghana Organisation, who opened the event with a traditional deya ceremony. Over the following days, the Nagar came alive with performances by pannist Sunanda Mohip, devotional aarti rituals, and cultural showcases by children from the Sunil Ramsook Music Academy and members of Sathyam’s Dance Academy. President Christine Kangaloo graced the event on October 15, engaging in discussions with NCIC president Surujdeo Mangaroo during her tour. Newsday photographers Angelo Marcelle and Grevic Alvarado documented the festivities, capturing the essence of this cultural extravaganza.

  • Suspected gang leader, wife arrested in Maloney

    Suspected gang leader, wife arrested in Maloney

    In a dramatic turn of events, a suspected gang leader was apprehended by police after he visited the Maloney Police Station to inquire about his wife, who had been arrested earlier. The incident unfolded on the evening of October 16, when law enforcement officers, acting on intelligence, conducted a search of the couple’s apartment under the state of emergency (SoE) regulations. The woman, who was present at the time, informed officers that her husband had stepped out. During the search, police discovered a customized Glock 19 handgun, a magazine containing 15 rounds of 9mm ammunition, and a patented Glock drum magazine concealed in a blue and red knapsack in a bedroom. The woman was immediately cautioned, arrested, and taken into custody. Shortly after, her husband arrived at the police station to check on her status, only to be detained himself in connection with the illegal firearm. Both individuals remain in custody and are expected to face charges soon. Additionally, police invoked Regulation 13 of the Emergency Powers Regulations to detain two other residents of the same building, including a neighbor of the suspected gang leader. This regulation empowers officers to conduct searches without a warrant if they suspect evidence of criminal activity. The operation was led by Superintendent McKenzie and supervised by Acting Sergeant Forgenie, with the involvement of several officers including WCpl Castillo-Lewis, WPC Simon, PC Carter, PC Augustine, PC Gopaul, PC Villaroel, and PC Fisher.

  • Dominica police make largest drug seizure in country’s history

    Dominica police make largest drug seizure in country’s history

    In a landmark operation, the Dominica police announced on Friday the largest drug seizure in the nation’s history, confiscating more than 1,700 kilograms of cocaine with an estimated street value exceeding EC$46 million (approximately US$17 million). The operation, dubbed ‘Clean Street,’ marks a significant milestone in the country’s fight against drug trafficking. Acting Police Commissioner Lincoln Corbette revealed that the haul surpasses the previous record set in the early 1980s, when 3,000 pounds of cocaine were seized. ‘This is the biggest haul ever in Dominica,’ Corbette emphasized during a press conference. He praised the officers involved for their dedication, stating that the seizure prevents millions of dollars from falling into the hands of criminals and endangering citizens. Corbette also disclosed that 24 individuals—19 men and 5 women—were arrested in connection with the operation, alongside the confiscation of substantial cash amounts, firearms, and ammunition. While he did not confirm arrests directly linked to the cocaine seizure, the operation has dealt a significant blow to organized crime in the region.

  • Guyanese gov’t hints at implementing tougher laws to deal with gambling

    Guyanese gov’t hints at implementing tougher laws to deal with gambling

    The Government of Guyana has unveiled plans to introduce stringent regulatory reforms and taxation measures aimed at curbing the escalating gambling crisis, which has left numerous families in financial turmoil. Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo highlighted the alarming proliferation of gambling activities, which have transitioned from traditional hotel-based casinos to pervasive mobile applications, exacerbating social issues, particularly among single parents. Speaking at his weekly press briefing, Jagdeo emphasized the detrimental impact of a lenient licensing and taxation framework, which has facilitated the unchecked spread of gambling across the nation. Originally intended to bolster the hotel industry by generating supplementary revenue, the issuance of casino licenses was initially restricted to establishments with at least 150 rooms and high service standards. However, the landscape has drastically shifted, with hundreds of small gambling outlets now operating nationwide, many of which are accessible via apps enabling 24/7 betting. Jagdeo expressed grave concern over the societal ramifications, citing numerous accounts of families being torn apart and parents squandering their earnings on online betting. He stressed that while the government respects citizens’ rights, gambling must be transformed into a high-cost, tightly regulated activity to deter excessive participation. The proposed measures will include robust taxation policies and a call for a cultural shift in attitudes towards gambling, which he believes undermines long-term aspirations such as homeownership and financial security. The decision to act swiftly has been bolstered by appeals from religious organizations, with Jagdeo firmly stating, ‘We are not going to allow that to continue.’