For years, Eastern Caribbean governments have operated Citizenship by Investment (CBI) programs, which grant citizenship to foreign applicants in exchange for substantial financial investment. As international scrutiny of these schemes has grown over the past decade, regional authorities have repeatedly defended their protocols, emphasizing that rigorous background checks and globally recognized due diligence frameworks effectively block high-risk and criminal applicants from securing citizenship. But a new peer-reviewed academic study published in the *Global Crime* journal, titled *Passports, Transactions and Trust: Middle Eastern Financial Executives on Money Laundering Risks in Caribbean Citizenship by Investment Schemes*, calls these official assurances into question, based on firsthand testimony from senior international banking leaders.
作者: admin
-

Mira Millions Update: Briceño Says PUP Government Is Not In Crisis
On July 1, 2026, Belizean Prime Minister John Briceño pushed back firmly against public claims that his People’s United Party (PUP) administration is facing a governing crisis, following a high-stakes development in the ongoing Mira Millions corruption investigation: Defence Minister Florencio Marin Jr has formally requested a 90-day leave of absence from his post.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning, Briceño rejected the framing of the unfolding scandal as a catastrophic threat to his government, pointing to the stability of his parliamentary bloc. “No, it’s not creating a crisis. Remember, it’s 26 of us,” he told media outlets, emphasizing that the majority of his party remains unified despite the ongoing probe.
Briceño confirmed that Marin reached out to him personally to request the temporary leave, explaining that the step is intended to eliminate any perception of political interference as the auditor general’s office completes its investigation into suspicious activities at the Ministry of Defence. According to the prime minister, Marin has consistently maintained that he has not engaged in any illegal activity connected to the case, but believes stepping down temporarily is the most responsible choice for both his party and the integrity of the audit process.
“He believes that he didn’t do anything illegal, but he thinks that it would be best for the government, for him, to step back for the next 90 days, then we get a report and then take it from there,” Briceño explained, outlining the path forward once the auditor general issues its final findings.
Marin’s decision to step aside comes after weeks of growing public scrutiny over questionable payments documented in Smart Stream invoices. The records link five siblings of Oscar Mira, the Belmopan Area Representative, to millions of dollars in disbursements from the Ministry of Defence, prompting the launch of the official independent audit. Since the details of the payments emerged, multiple senior government officials connected to the case — including Mira himself, Minister Andre Perez, and Marin — have declined to address the allegations directly, instead deferring all questions to the ongoing audit process.
Prior to Marin’s leave request, Financial Secretary Joseph Waight had already publicly outlined the formal payment approval structure used by the Ministry of Defence, breaking down the multi-step process: a junior clerk first prepares invoices for payment, a designated financial officer then approves the disbursement, and a senior accounting officer conducts a final review and authorizes the transaction before payment is issued.
-

SOCU Chief denies being detained in US
In a public statement issued Wednesday from his current location in the United States, the senior head of Guyana’s top organized crime enforcement unit has strongly refuted unsubstantiated social media claims that he was taken into custody and interrogated by U.S. law enforcement officials during a recent entry into the country.
Deputy Police Commissioner Fazil Karimbaksh, who leads the Guyana Police Force’s Special Organized Crime Unit (SOCU), is moving forward with plans to pursue legal action against the individuals responsible for spreading the false allegations across social platforms. Currently on the ground in the U.S., Karimbaksh explained that his lawsuit will aim to compel a court order forcing the originators of the rumors to release any evidence they claim to have supporting the assertion that he was detained upon arrival last week.
Karimbaksh’s role at SOCU centers on leading high-stakes financial crime investigations, work that regularly involves close cross-border coordination with law enforcement partners across the Caribbean, North America and other international jurisdictions. This is not the first time rumors of U.S. law enforcement questioning of senior Guyanese police officials have circulated: the Guyanese government has previously pushed back on and downplayed similar reports naming multiple high-ranking police figures as subjects of U.S. interrogations.
The unconfirmed allegations spread widely across social media earlier this month, prompting Karimbaksh’s first public on-the-record denial of the claims amid growing public attention to the rumor.
-

Derde helft WK 2026: Engeland herpakt zich en krijgt heldhaftig Congo alsnog klein
The 2026 FIFA World Cup knockout stage kicked off with a breathtaking clash at Atlanta Stadium that delivered everything fans could have asked for: underdog grit, last-minute drama, and a heart-stopping finish that left supporters on the edge of their seats. Pre-tournament favorites and former world champions England entered their round of 16 tie against DR Congo as heavy favorites on paper, having topped their group to secure their knockout spot. The Congolese side, meanwhile, had scraped into the knockout phase as one of the best third-placed teams, with most pundits writing them off before the opening whistle.
But football’s greatest magic often lies in upset hopes, and DR Congo made it clear within the opening seven minutes that they had not come to Atlanta just to make up the numbers. Starting at a blistering pace, the African side caught England napping on the break: Chancel Mbemba teed up a clinical finish from Brian Cipenga, who slotted past England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford to put DR Congo 1-0 up early. The stunned Three Lions side grew increasingly frustrated as the half wore on, with the Congolese defense blocking every attacking threat thrown their way.
England’s first real dangerous chance came in the 14th minute, but DR Congo’s backline held firm to clear the danger. In the 30th minute, Jude Bellingham, one of England’s standout stars of the tournament, fired a powerful effort that DR Congo goalkeeper Lionel Mpasi pushed away for a corner. Five minutes later, Marcus Rashford thought he had bagged the equalizer, only for former England youth international Aaron Wan-Bissaka to clear the effort off the goal line, preserving DR Congo’s lead going into halftime.
DR Congo even had a golden chance to double their advantage just before the break, when Yoane Wissa found himself unmarked in front of goal from close range. But his effort rattled off the post and bounced wide, letting England off the hook. Just before halftime stoppage time, Harry Kane attempted to win a penalty after going down in the box, but the referee waved away the appeal, correctly judging no foul had been committed. Bellingham then had a close-range header that looked destined for the back of the net, only for Mpasi to pull off a miraculous save to keep his side ahead going into the break.
The second half opened with more of England’s relentless pressure, and more world-class stops from Mpasi. Rashford had a clear chance to level the score just after kickoff, but his shot drifted inches wide of the post. A minute later, Bellingham again had a golden opportunity, but Mpasi pulled off another stunning save to keep DR Congo ahead.
It was not until the 75th minute that England finally broke through DR Congo’s resilient defense. Captain Harry Kane nodded home a cross, with the ball deflecting off Mpasi and bouncing into the net to level the score at 1-1. With just 10 minutes left on the clock, Kane struck again to secure England’s place in the quarter-finals: the striker hit a venomous effort past Mpasi into the top corner of the net, putting England ahead 2-1 with just four minutes left of normal time.
The late double was enough to see England over the line, as they held on through stoppage time to avoid one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. Gareth Southgate’s side will now advance to the quarter-finals, where they will face tournament hosts Mexico for a spot in the final four.
-

World Bank Appoints Achim Fock to Lead Caribbean Division
In a key leadership appointment for regional development, the World Bank announced Tuesday that it has selected Achim Fock to serve as the new Division Director for the Caribbean, effective July 1, 2026.
Fock will take the reins of the institution’s full portfolio across the Caribbean region, encompassing all lending operations, technical advisory support, and targeted development initiatives implemented by the global development body. A core part of his new mandate will be steering the World Bank’s strategic partnerships with Caribbean national governments, while also fostering collaboration with local civil society organizations and private sector stakeholders. The overarching goal of this coordinated engagement is to drive forward inclusive, sustainable development that builds long-term economic and climate resilience across the region’s small island and coastal nations.
Bringing to the role over a quarter century of institutional experience with the World Bank, Fock boasts a diverse track record of leadership across multiple emerging market regions globally. His most recent post was Country Manager for Zambia, where he oversaw development programming across Southern Africa. Prior to that role, he held senior operational leadership positions across Southeast Asia, covering Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. He also built his early career as a senior economist, working on development challenges across a broad range of countries in Africa, East Asia, and Eastern Europe.
In his new position, Fock has outlined a clear set of priority focus areas aligned with the Caribbean’s most pressing development needs. Top priorities include supporting local economies to expand inclusive job creation, unlock sustained broad-based economic growth, accelerate the just transition to low-carbon clean energy systems, boost national capacity for disaster risk preparedness and response, deliver climate-resilient infrastructure, and strengthen overall macroeconomic and social resilience to global shocks.
Fock holds impressive academic credentials to back his decades of practical development experience: he earned a PhD in Agricultural Economics, two master’s degrees in Agricultural Science and Agricultural Economics respectively, and a postgraduate diploma focused on European Integration and International Economics.
-

St. Kitts and Nevis, Afreximbank Postpone ACTIF 2026 Over Ebola Concerns
BASSETERRE, St. Kitts – In a joint announcement that underscores prioritization of global public health safety, the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis and the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) have confirmed the postponement of the 2026 AfriCaribbean Trade and Investment Forum (ACTIF 2026), a decision driven by growing Ebola-related public health concerns across parts of Africa.
Originally slated to convene at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort, the fifth annual iteration of the forum was expected to draw hundreds of delegates, cross-border investors, and senior business leaders from African and Caribbean nations, all gathered to strengthen trade ties and unlock new investment opportunities between the two regions. The event plays a key role in connecting small and medium enterprises, connecting regional markets, and fostering long-term economic partnerships between African and Caribbean economies.
In a shared statement distributed to all registered delegates and participating stakeholders, the two organizing bodies confirmed that the forum will not proceed on its originally scheduled timeline. The joint announcement notes that the deferral came after careful review of the most recent guidance from regional, continental, and global public health agencies amid the rapidly evolving outbreak.
“This decision has been taken following the latest updates from regional, continental and international public health authorities regarding the evolving public health situation in some parts of Africa,” the statement read. “Out of caution, and with the health, safety and well-being of delegates, speakers, partners, sponsors and other participants in mind, Afreximbank and the Government of Saint Kitts and Nevis have agreed that the deferral of the Forum is the most responsible course of action at this time.”
The decision comes as the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) continues to escalate, with official data showing steady increases in both confirmed cases and fatalities. As of June 29, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) reports that DRC health authorities have logged 1,333 confirmed Ebola cases and 399 associated deaths. That figure marks an increase of 26 new confirmed cases and 22 additional deaths compared to the prior reporting window. Currently, 609 confirmed patients are receiving treatment in isolation facilities, according to the ECDC.
To date, 189 patients infected with the Bundibugyo Ebola strain — the variant driving this outbreak — have recovered from the virus. Public health officials also note that 82.7 percent of all identified close contacts of infected patients are under active monitoring in the two most affected provinces: Ituri and North Kivu.
The vast majority of confirmed transmissions are concentrated in Ituri Province, where 1,214 cases and 335 deaths have been recorded across 23 of the province’s 36 health zones. North Kivu has recorded 116 confirmed cases and 63 deaths, while South Kivu has reported three cases including one fatality. Overall, 35 of the DRC’s 104 total health zones are currently impacted by the ongoing outbreak.
Despite the difficult decision to postpone, both Afreximbank and the St. Kitts and Nevis government extended their gratitude to all delegates, sponsors, partner organizations, and stakeholders who invested time and resources into preparing for the 2026 forum. “The decision to defer the Forum was not taken lightly, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause,” the statement added. As of the July 2 announcement, no new date has been set for the rescheduled ACTIF 2026.




